• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 D RD very deep colored “Tangerine”
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am relatively new at learning all the coin grading terminology but feel I have come a long way in a short period of time. I LOVE pennies and always have. I decided to start looking through my somewhat endless collection and have come across a few beautiful examples of Lincoln cents. This one really stuck out when I pulled it from my coveted penny collection. The color tone of this coin, and it’s overall extremely good condition, brought me to this website which I just joined in the hopes of receiving some professional opinions. I do know that a “similar” penny, 1984 D RD sold at auction for $4,000+..... WOW. (I could only be so lucky... lol). I am more into collecting DD’s and varieties but this one was just too beautiful for me not share. The reverse is just as nice. Thank you in advance for any replies!! 

-Greg

image.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a link to the auction in which the 1984D Lincoln sold for $4000? That is almost 6 times NGC retail for that year/mint mark in the highest grade (so far) - MS68, so I am wondering what was so special about that particular coin.

Thanks.

I really like the color on your, coin, by the way. (thumbsu

Edited by Just Bob

Hello and thank you for contacting me. Here is a screenshot straight from Heritage Auctions regarding that coin I referred to. 

5E56C5EC-D908-42DE-B1D3-50B442A17F00.png

Meant to say thank you “Just Bob” for your comment regarding my coin and your welcoming me to the forum. I really enjoy being associated with professionals who know their stuff that I can ultimately learn from. I do however really need a better photographic device as all I currently have now is an iPhone...... The pic I posted simply does not do this coin justice. I’ve seen many types of finishes and patina on coins but this 1984D I have is nothing like I have ever seen. It’s almost more of an orange/gold color, obverse and reverse. In no way do I consider it PMD of any kind. It is too consistent throughout and the coin is pretty much flawless. Thanks again!!

50 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

Hello and thank you for contacting me. Here is a screenshot straight from Heritage Auctions regarding that coin I referred to. 

5E56C5EC-D908-42DE-B1D3-50B442A17F00.png

It amazes me sometimes the prices people will pay for common coins, just to have the highest scoring registry set possible. (Nothing wrong with it - just not something I would do.) At the time of that sale (2008) there were only 15 graded MS68RD. (Not sure if that is just PCGS, or both services - the listing does not specify) Coin sold for $4025, including juice.. Fast forward to June, 2019. There are now 24 with that grade at PCGS, and 13 at NGC. The price realized in that auction (different coin from the above example, but same grade) is $168. Unfortunately, that particular coin had been purchased six years earlier for $1410. That is the problem with high grade moderns that are purchased for moon money:There is always a chance that another, or many other, coin(s) will be certified at that same grade or higher at some point in the future, and that really expensive coin suddenly loses much of its original "value."

Thank you Bob for your reply. The explanation  that you sent is exactly what I am looking for on this forum from advanced collectors, such as yourself, so that I can better educate myself. I did think it was odd that a coin that’s not “that rare” would sell for such a high price. I did look at the NGC and PCGS values and that coin did sell for tremendously more than their guidelines. I guess that is just another lesson I need to store in my memory. Thanks again!