• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof Happiness platinum coin with tiny yellowish fallen specs on surface observed with microscope. (pics)

5 posts in this topic

Greetings!. 

First post and I am returning to my passion of coins that I had when I was 5 until like 12 years old!  Ahhh what a rush! 

So I am basically a noob. Wanted to get a taste for platinum so I just received my Happiness 1oz plat proof form the US mint. I service circuit boards for a living so I happen to have a very nice Stereo microscope. While observing it under a 4x and 10x magnification I can see tiny yellow like specs of material resting on the surface of the coin on some spots. Is this normal? Should I send it it to have that stuff blown off and get it slabbed? I assume a the mint they have stuff flying around in the air and it landed on the coin during encapsulation. I can see the specs are clearly on the surface of the coin and not the outside capsule. thanks for any insight! 

-Chad 

EDIT:

photos added.
in the first one the yellow material is resting on the surface.
then in the second not sure if its anything / normal you can sort of make out a creasing effect on the surface just under the P & L? if there is a name for that I dont know the term.

hap2.jpg

hap3.jpg

Edited by Arkenstone

10 minutes ago, Arkenstone said:

Greetings!. 

First post and I am returning to my passion of coins that I had when I was 5 until like 12 years old!  Ahhh what a rush! 

So I am basically a noob. Wanted to get a taste for platinum so I just received my Happiness 1oz plat proof form the US mint. I service circuit boards for a living so I happen to have a very nice Stereo microscope. While observing it under a 4x and 10x magnification I can see tiny yellow like specs of material resting on the surface of the coin on some spots. Is this normal? Should I send it it to have that stuff blown off and get it slabbed? I assume a the mint they have stuff flying around in the air and it landed on the coin during encapsulation. I can see the specs are clearly on the surface of the coin and not the outside capsule. thanks for any insight! 

-Chad 

Hey Chad .... I'm fairly new here as well but I believe a couple photos to be included would help.

While it is possible to get some type of material in a capsule prior to them being closed I haven't experienced it with any of my proofs (silver & gold) that I have purchased over the years.You could carefully open the case, inspect and remove it.

As for what you see in the second pic that looks to me like flow lines or a watery look (what I refer to this as). It is  not that common with proof coins (again, I have experience with silver and gold) but I have seen it now and again. I have read that it doesn't happen on cameo proofs but I would disagree .... I've seen this before.  I believe the same is for platinum cameo type coins. 

Thanks Terence that gives me a few things to think about.. i cant imagine the US MINT encapsulation even opens without ruining it now? 
I think its best for me to leave it and if any surface removal is even in order ill have someone who knows what they are doing do it. 

Any other opinions on the landed surface debris and flow lines? 

Edited by Arkenstone

Agree your proof coin dosent have eye appeal with the "lines" but that's how it goes not all coin from the mint will grade sp Ms pf 70 

Poor strike and debris most dealers would sell it and look for a better example if your set on owning that particular coin