• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate coins - Full Steps?

8 posts in this topic

Good evening everyone, I have gone through all the War nickles (as well as a few shortly after) and have a few that look questionable on full steps. First up is a 1943S and probably the best of the lot. Shame on several of the others .... to much circulation.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

For future reference I have highlighted the areas to look for.  The area outlined in red is the hit that will in all likelihood preclude a 5 full step designation, that hit cuts across the bottom three or four steps and should end the discussion.  If the first hit wasn't there the area outlined in yellow is what would preclude a 6 full step designation, here the sixth and fifth steps are blended together.  Hope this helps.

steps.jpg

7 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

the 'bridge' (circled in yellow) makes it incomplete steps but I have seen far worse graded FS in holders from the other graders. It is a nice coin.

OTHER GRADERS???   There is the first clue to wrongly graded Jefferson's. :)

Nice full step nickels do not come cheap. It is wise to purchase the toughest grading company's advise verses a slack grade from another for a cheaper price. In the end -- It is what it is.