• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC lost the COA (Solved: Please DELETE admin)

10 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I sent my first coin in to NGC for conservation and grading. It is a 1989 Guanyin 5 oz gold medal. I sent the COA and asked on the submission form to have it returned with the coin. When I got the coin back in the mail there was a plastic sleeve with a bright post-it note that said *return COA with coin*. There was no COA returned with the coin. 

When I called and asked, they said it was being sent separately. 

A week later (today), I called and the representative told me that it's OK and that the COA isn't necessary. On a $20k coin. I have the original mint packaging but no COA now. 

So, what do you guys think I should do? Obviously I am not happy. I spent $750 for this conservation and grading alone.

Edited by ERICtheRED
Please remove this post

😳😳😳😳

Ask NGC if the COA is necessary with the 2019 short minted Silver Eagle and how not having one with that coin, would it affect its value?

Not good in my opinion, I would be very upset. Good luck, I hope it works out for you. 

Edited by Trapshooter

Thanks Mr. Shooter,

I was very surprised that they tried to stone wall me like that. I asked what we were going to do to make it right and they opted to do nothing. Very strange. Not what I would expect from NGC. 

I even used a highlighter and wrote "please return the included COA". 

Thanks for the support.

-Eric

Edited by ERICtheRED

Need to speak to the Chairman or President

I am sure they should be able to make you whole in some manner

https://www.ngccoin.hk/about/ngc-graders/

I am always leery of the transportation between departments NCS and NGC 

unfortunate that it happened.

My feeling is you can escalate the issue yourself without paying some more out of pocket money for lawyers.

Good Luck 

J

I completely understand your being upset, and that the coin _and_ all the packaging is special to you. I hope NGC makes it right. However, if it makes you feel any better, if I was a buyer of that coin, I wouldn't care about the COA. The serial number is on the rim and they put it on the slab too, right? I'm not sure that the little piece of paper is worth the lawyer's hourly rate. But again, I can appreciate your feelings about it.

Well, given that they charge a $5 fee + shipping for returning the packaging, which I'm assuming also applied to returning the COA to you, I can see why you might be a little bit cross about this outcome.

I agree with the others though, I don't see not having the COA damaging the value enough to be worth a lawyer. The hourly rate on a decent lawyer, given the time this would take... ? You might as well buy a new coin. Personally, I don't know how much the original packaging even helps you now that the coin is in an NGC holder and can't even be in the original mint packaging now and the NGC slab / label gives you a statement on authenticity without the CoA.

@ERICtheRED I'm on your side for this. This is not acceptable and they need to take care of this for you. To some here, the COA doesn't matter, but others like myself, I like COA for certain things. 

Contact the NGC employees that are on this site and see what they can do for you, this is not right.

• Administrator

Hello,

I assure you that we are taking this issue very seriously. We will either find and return the COA, or we will work something out with you. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your patience,

Paul Sandler

Senior Numismatist

Hi Paul,

Thank you. 

To update this topic; after getting the information in front of the right people, it sounds like NGC is now working to either provide the COA or make an equivalent compensation. When this situation is cleared up, I will delete this thread. 

I will continue to use NGC in the future as they still maintain a record of being the best grading service out there.

Thanks again for all of the input.

-Eric