• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1832 DMPL capped bust half dollar

26 posts in this topic

I started off without light to show it isn’t polish.There is a frosted golden appearance to the high points of the coin on the obverse and reverse. The coin has a deep strike on both the obverse and reverse; the finished field is almost mirrored with a deep contrast to the devices especially the hair, creases on the cap, and bust. There is a sharp contrast between the golden lettering, and wing tips of the eagle on the reverse against the pastel blue mirrored finish. 

Edited by Ratzie33

Hmmmm.....well from the bottom photo, I might guess it was really a "Buff-a-lot Half" and not a "Bust Half." There seems to be wear all over the place, and polish on the upper surfaces of denticles.

Here’s a polished coin I returned from 1834. Notice the scratches. The coin in the video above has no scratching on the surfaces, and golden highlights. I’m not a professional and I could be wrong but the coin only shines when it hits the light, if you watch the video.

57B655E7-7204-41D0-BF1A-963CF1E4FC71.jpeg

A14240CD-B087-4663-97B5-5B71F0166FD1.jpeg

The toning is also different on the denticles, lettering, wing tips, and cheek than the rest of the surface of the coin. If it was buffed wouldn’t all the surfaces match? Or not?

The only way to know is to send it in. Considering that there are no graded 1832 "proof-like" halves at NGC, and 4-6 known actual proofs, it seems like quite a stretch to me.

The details on the seraphs of Liberty on the cap are golden inside the lettering, and very detailed. The claws, arrow points, and veins on the leaves likewise.

I also noticed die polishing lines above the eagle’s wing on the right, raised up off of the coin and only in one direction, stopping where the meet the wing. The stars are also pointed and incredibly detailed.

Edited by Ratzie33

I’m looking for some education. How can you tell if a coin has been polished? Thanks. This is the same coin pictured below.

C1434DA7-F5AB-4AB8-A211-DD9E8111CC17.png

Edited by Ratzie33

Well, to start with, the 1832 half is what a polished coin looks like. Go to the Heritage archives and look for proof like bust halves. There you will see photos of the real thing. (I hope you can return those to the seller.)

So not sure still but found a picture of a polished coin before and after. The 1942 p silver nickel. My coin is still tarnished like the 1942 p coin in the before picture, before it was polished. Only when the mirror hits the light,  it reflects.

CB102C77-E80F-4A79-8A34-8801A510036F.png

7FA9EB58-BD79-48A9-8EBA-8014D14E1B5D.png

In some cases, it’s difficult to tell if a coin’s been polished, unless you can tilt and rotate it under a light. However, if a knowledgeable dealer or collector can view the coin in hand, they should be able to provide the answer within seconds.

Hard to tell even with video, but this just struck me a a nicely toned AU coin, which can at times looks reflective, but not really mirror like, which is how I see this coin.  But again tough to say from images.

Yikes, nice to have an old coin but as the coin wizards have spoken, I would take heed. IMO, absolutely polished and therefore "shiny" and certainly not proof or DMPL or PL or any other such similar descriptive.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:05 AM, Ratzie33 said:

AE974DCE-36FA-4EA8-AFCA-48E8253BD4BE.jpeg

92437F69-16A6-44AF-A902-02F3AAE0B594.jpeg

This piece has retoned attractively, but in my opinion, it appears to be a Cleaned or Altered Surfaces coin that will not straight grade. The videos are not zoomed in enough to be very useful. However, the fact that the reflectivity is not just limited to the fields, but also extends over the devices tells me that it was altered surfaces and not a polished die.

Normally, there will be a contract between the mirrored fields and the devices. Sometimes the devices will actually be frosted with some traces of Cameo. The devices should not be reflective, and you should not see reflectivity rolling over wear spots. I'm also wondering why I see so little handling on a piece in the AU53-55 grade range. The handling lines may have been erased.