• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC to recognize Strike Doubling of 50c South Africa coin (1990 - 2000 mintage dates))
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello NGC

Would our fantastic NGC Graders consider labeling / recognizing the strike doubling of the South Africa 50c coinage issued from 1990 - 2000 dates?

There is much interest in Numismatists with regards to varieties and several known South African collectors are keen to hear if the NGC Graders would consider recognizing or consider labeling the 50c coin as such. 

I have attach some photos of the 50c coin having the 'doubling' (I would assume its mechanical / strike doubling) as well as a sample of a 'normal' minted 50c coin. Furthermore, in the MTB coinage book on South Africa, there is a small exhibit/ listing covering the 'doubling' as a reference.

Should NGC agree / recognize the doubling, I can send through some coin samples for their kind review/ grading.

Thanks .

doubling of the 50c numerical et al  .jpg

normal minted 50c coinage -  Copy.jpeg

MTB catalog on SA page 251 -  Copy.jpg

• Administrator

Hello morganthebrave,

Didn't forget about you.  We do not recognize strike doubling as it is just a normal part of the minting process.