• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate coins - GSA Morgans

22 posts in this topic

Hello, my next inquiry is on grading some GSA Carson's  'as is' or removing from holders. The collection I am working on has 7 cc Morgans all GSA of various dates. My question is sell 'as is' -or-  Send in  the GSA holder for grading  -or- remover from holder (to maybe get a better grade??) and then send in to be graded. Pics are in order obverse to reverse starting with the 78's. Please forgive the minor abrasions to the plastic holders or if there is a subtle reflection in the plastic.  Thanks!

1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

4.jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

5a.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

7.jpg

7a.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

GSA is a subclassification of each of these issues. If you crack one out of its holder (unlike if the grading service does it; they will preserve that classification and put it on the holder), you will subtract an indefinite amount of value from it on the spot. If you want to sell them in their holders as they are, fine; if you want formal grades, that's also fine; but taking them out yourself to sell separately, I think, would be combusting value.

44 minutes ago, JKK said:

GSA is a subclassification of each of these issues. If you crack one out of its holder (unlike if the grading service does it; they will preserve that classification and put it on the holder), you will subtract an indefinite amount of value from it on the spot. If you want to sell them in their holders as they are, fine; if you want formal grades, that's also fine; but taking them out yourself to sell separately, I think, would be combusting value.

Okay, I didn't realize that NGC could (or would) remove a coin from the GSA holder in order to grade it, good to know.  I was making an assumption that if I wanted these graded and slabbed I would have to remove myself and submit in a flip. The question still stands as to whether or not the grade would be potentially better if the coins  where removed (by NGC)  as opposed to being  graded in the existing GSA holder.  I know that that would be entirely speculative (it is more of a rhetorical question)  Bottom line .... I'm looking for a max return on my investment,  not going to keep any of these. 

Edited by Terence:)

5 hours ago, jgrinz said:

NGC would not remove it from the holder unless told to do so.

This is what is usually done with them if I am not mistaken

s-l500.jpg.c9690f37344beebb78c9881c50970ad1.jpg

I'd have them graded in their holder, as shown above. Sell them on eBay or Great Collections if you want. 

One more inquiry on these prior to sending in. The 1984 that is toned on the obverse and super frosty on the reverse .... does anyone think this is detrimental for a favorable grade? I never sent in such a heavily toned coin before. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

In my opinion, the toning will not have a negative effect on the grade.

I am not a VAM guy, but, if I were you, I would do some checking into the designation for that coin. That die crack should make finding the particular variety fairly easy, and it may add a bit to the value to have it noted by NGC, or at least in your listing, when you go to sell them.

Click here for the link to VAMWorld

I went ahead and looked myself, and it looks like VAM-7A, which is the key variety for that date/mm. It does not appear to be a variety that NGC will attribute, but I would still put it in my listing when I sold it, if I were you.

See if this looks like your coin.CLICK ME.

Maybe jgrinz or someone else can confirm this.

31 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

In my opinion, the toning will not have a negative effect on the grade.

I would do some checking into the designation for that coin. 

Click here for the link to VAMWorld

I went ahead and looked myself, and it looks like VAM-7A,

Maybe jgrinz or someone else can confirm this.

Good eye Bob! How did I miss this .... lol

I don't think the reverse toning and frostiness detract at all. It's beautiful. I do see the die crack but am not enough of an expert on VAMs to offer any intelligent commentary on value or variety.

7A is a good bet - Cheek gouge and crack are some of the obvious looks along with the tilted CC.

This looks a little later die state cause of the EXTRA character ( Cracks :-) )

Though it states a rarity of 6 - they are pretty common so I would not expect too much of a premium.

The toning gives it some nice character and depending on its look in hand will possible increase grade not detract from it.

good luck

Edited by jgrinz

9 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

7A is a good bet - Cheek gouge and crack are some of the obvious looks along with the tilted CC.

This looks a little later die state cause of the EXTRA character ( Cracks :-) )

Though it states a rarity of 6 

Thanks for that look jgrinz. No cheek gouge but does have a 18 doubling. Attached the pics but can't get a good one of the 1 doubling just the 8 but it is there very prominent of the bottom of both.

4.jpg

3.jpg

9 minutes ago, Terence:) said:

Attached the pics but can't get a good one of the 1 doubling just the 8 but it is there very prominent of the bottom of both.

Got a better pic of the 1 and 8

5.jpg

1.jpg.ed44b5c59f2fb770498003a03a96e36f.jpg.3497d2b0e8906684f10c8986bb02b076.jpg

This looks like the gouge but obviously just going by your pics.

The little leg off the bottom left of the "1" is also present

Crack between the 2 "8"'s is also there 

Edited by jgrinz

Yes I see it now .... had to get some different angled lighting on it. Looked like normal dings like a lot of Morgans have to me until you pointed it out. and I was looking a bit lower than here as well.

Also, the die crack seems to go all the way around the entire coin through all the lettering not just within "states of"

6.jpg

7.jpg

more information

Your not seeing the important picture I think. 

Very bottom of the 7A page it will have a full size version of a 7A coin - both sides ...

It has ALL the similar cracks on it ...

13 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

..... Very bottom of the 7A page it will have a full size version of a 7A coin - both sides ...

Yes, I see it now. Same cracking all the way around, the doubling on date, the gouge and the tilt on the cc

It's all there, Thank you! 

Now I have 6 more to analyze  (this is fun btw!)

more information

2 hours ago, Terence:) said:

Yes, I see it now. Same cracking all the way around, the doubling on date, the gouge and the tilt on the cc

It's all there, Thank you! 

Now I have 6 more to analyze  (this is fun btw!)

Can be aggravating at times. Especially in my instance when I had the brilliant idea of attributing my whole Morgan collection,

106 coins. There are still those buggers that you cant figure out and the guys over the VAMWORLD way are real good at helping out.

I still use my phone for the full pictures and my microscope for the close ones.

Phone Pics on full manual - Takes a little time but the better the pics the better someone can help you.

Good Luck 

1.jpg.24eb892d0455ff77cba96df708208227.jpg

2.jpg.05a4064cf9181c05c7a04b4b356506f9.jpg

11 hours ago, Terence:) said:

Just a follow up for those interested in the grades on the Morgans. I just got the update and put them in a new set category ... here's the link. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/267493/

Nice result - Did you not pay the extra for VAM attribution ?

15 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Nice result - Did you not pay the extra for VAM attribution ?

None of these had a VAM that NGC would have recognized. I really do like the 84 tho .... Some may be interested if it could fall in the R6 area.