• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1885 O Morgan Dollar Grade

7 posts in this topic

I know the 1885 O Morgan dollar is a common date coin, but what would your best guess be on the grade of this coin? I know telling the grade of a coin through pictures is damn near impossible, but any help is appreciated. From my novice opinion I would say this coin is mint state maybe 61-63. As an ungraded coin what do you believe the value of this coin would be?

1.thumb.jpg.7b033a81a7d66e1906f8a31d7bb0934f.jpg2.thumb.jpg.8432e5a096325a308e84cc960f0aaf81.jpg

Surfaces look nice, pretty color. Good strike. I see no wear. What I do see, however, is prominent hairlining in the prime focal area of the cheek. MS-62 doesn't seem unreasonable, so I think your grade range is well founded. Were it not for those hairlines, I'd guess that the limiter would be the surface abrasions just above the reverse arrowheads, and that 64-65 might be reasonable. But wishing doesn't help a lot. Any way you look at it, it's a fundamentally appealing Morgan.