• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird 1972 1c

10 posts in this topic

The rim looks oddly polished in your last image. I think somebody was messing around, maybe spooning it. Post images of diameter and thickness next to / between normal cents.

I bet it's spot on for weight. That last picture shows it - the coin has a smaller diameter than the other cents. It's a dryer or spooned coin.

4 hours ago, Kirt said:

I bet it's spot on for weight. That last picture shows it - the coin has a smaller diameter than the other cents. It's a dryer or spooned coin.

OK @Kirt, I see you guy use the turm dryer or spoon coin, but I can't find what that means. Would you or someone please explain them to me. Thank you. 

Sure - dryer coins fall out of pockets and get stuck in the mechanism of tumble dryers. Once taken out of the dryer, the coin is smaller in diameter with an abnormally thick rim. The theory behind it is that once there, if they move onto their rim, the constant rotation and slight pressure gradually make the metal migrate from the very edge of the rim back across the coin, thickening the rim and reducing the diameter.

I think the reason that theory has stuck is spooning works exactly like that. You take a spoon, a coin, and a TON more patience than I have, and you tap tap tap tap on the rim of the coin while rotating it. The metal thickens, eventually becoming thick enough that you can make a ring from the coin.