• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would be a good price?

13 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Bink2090 said:

Trying to figure what would be a good starting price at auction or to sell to a dealer.

image.jpg

Hi Bink2090, to my understanding that collectors aren't really interested unless it's MS 65 or more. It's cool coin ,fs and everything. Just hope you get out of it,what you paid for it getting it graded. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

fs and everything

Not FS as in Full Steps.  When you see FS in front of numbers like that (FS-501) it refers to the Fivaz-Stanton catalogue system of varieties.  Cherrypicker's Guide and all.

It's a low population of 15 certified by NGC.  And while it's not the worst of the population it's near it.  In my quick search I only found a MS-65 5FS one sold recently.  That went for $750 vs a normal 65 5FS in the $25-$40 range.  That same ratio wouldn't apply to this one since it's not top end and lacking the eye appeal.  But there is interest.  Be open to offers but I wouldn't set sights too high.  If I were selling it I'd be content with $60 - $80 but happier with $100 (Buy It Now with Best Offer).  If you do auction it I'd suggest a floor of what you're willing to part with it.  The worst you could do is start bidding @ 99cents and only get a few interested bidders due to timing.

I could be low on my estimate but that's partly based on my opinion it wouldn't be an example I'd seek out for my personal collection.

28 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Not FS as in Full Steps.  When you see FS in front of numbers like that (FS-501) it refers to the Fivaz-Stanton catalogue system of varieties.  Cherrypicker's Guide and all.

It's a low population of 15 certified by NGC.  And while it's not the worst of the population it's near it.  In my quick search I only found a MS-65 5FS one sold recently.  That went for $750 vs a normal 65 5FS in the $25-$40 range.  That same ratio wouldn't apply to this one since it's not top end and lacking the eye appeal.  But there is interest.  Be open to offers but I wouldn't set sights too high.  If I were selling it I'd be content with $60 - $80 but happier with $100 (Buy It Now with Best Offer).  If you do auction it I'd suggest a floor of what you're willing to part with it.  The worst you could do is start bidding @ 99cents and only get a few interested bidders due to timing.

I could be low on my estimate but that's partly based on my opinion it wouldn't be an example I'd seek out for my personal collection.

Oops, I didn't type that out right. Understand what your saying it depends on who's willing to pay for it. I was looking at his other thread and was just doing a little math. It came to mind when I research what collectors are looking for. I was going by a MS 66 sold at auction for almost 150 bucks. That is a nice coin though. 

I checked past auctions at Heritage, and found that the lowest grade for a D over Inverted D was MS64. I averaged the selling price of the four coins that sold at this grade, and came up with $437 and some change. I then went to NGC price guide and found a series that had five MS 64s listed at prices between $415 and $470,and averaged  the price of those five coins in XF, to come up with a retail price of  $103.00.

Not at all scientific, but it is really close to Crawdad's suggested Buy It Now price, so, yeah, starting it at around $70 with a BIN of around $100 sounds like a good idea.

39 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I checked past auctions at Heritage

Actually an FS-501 AU55 sold on Heritage for $164.50 in Oct 2015. The "just to have one" collectors might be willing to spend in that range for this one, considering the UNC examples are a lot more expensive.

7 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Actually an FS-501 AU55 sold on Heritage for $164.50 in Oct 2015. The "just to have one" collectors might be willing to spend in that range for this one, considering the UNC examples are a lot more expensive.

I must have missed that one.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I checked past auctions at Heritage, and found that the lowest grade for a D over Inverted D was MS64. I averaged the selling price of the four coins that sold at this grade, and came up with $437 and some change. I then went to NGC price guide and found a series that had five MS 64s listed at prices between $415 and $470,and averaged  the price of those five coins in XF, to come up with a retail price of  $103.00.

Not at all scientific, but it is really close to Crawdad's suggested Buy It Now price, so, yeah, starting it at around $70 with a BIN of around $100 sounds like a good idea.

5 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

6 hours ago, Hinkle said:

Hi Bink2090, to my understanding that collectors aren't really interested unless it's MS 65 or more. It's cool coin ,fs and everything. Just hope you get out of it,what you paid for it getting it graded. Good luck. 

Thank you guys for the info. Couldn't find a completed auction for this. wasn't expecting a windfall of money for it. just thought it would be cool to get it graded. I had plenty of other coins in the mix to cover any loss on the grading of this coin. not sure if I even want to sell it, I went through about 1200 nickels to find it lol. just wanted to find out if it was worth anything monetarily. Again thanks for all your help. 

One of the real issues in putting a value on a coin like this is that its a very thin market, not a lot of collectors that are looking for this coin.  So if you can find that right collector a good price can be had, it just might take some time to find that needle in the haystack.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, Just Bob said:

Same.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, kbbpll said:

To be fair, that was 4.5 years ago and the market for minor varieties seems to have softened.  Ya never know, though.  Like Coinbuf said, it just might take a while for the right buyer to come along.  It may be a minor variety but not widely attributed so it could be a good hold item.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

One of the real issues in putting a value on a coin like this is that its a very thin market, not a lot of collectors that are looking for this coin.  So if you can find that right collector a good price can be had, it just might take some time to find that needle in the haystack.

Yes, this. That is the problem all the newbs hunting down errors and varieties from roll hunting are facing - there is somewhere between very little demand and no demand for these kinds of pieces. That is why I keep wondering out loud what the point of all this is. Demand is what makes coins valuable. There has to be demand for these varieties, and I'm not seeing all that much, EXCEPT at the really high quality end, and people are NOT finding those roll hunting.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

there is somewhere between very little demand and no demand for these kinds of pieces

I think you underestimate the interest, at least among certain series and collector groups. There seem to be quite a few Canadians trying to get all the bazillion varieties of the 1859 large cent, for example, and doubled HP on the silver dollars has carried pretty significant premium for a long time, as well as all the short water lines and Arnprior stuff (and that's just die polishing!). 15 people cared enough to get this FS-501 designated at NGC. I don't care that much about this stuff myself either, but you can't deny that somebody paid $164.50 for a coin normally worth 50 cents, even if it was 4-5 years ago.

3 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I think you underestimate the interest, at least among certain series and collector groups. There seem to be quite a few Canadians trying to get all the bazillion varieties of the 1859 large cent, for example, and doubled HP on the silver dollars has carried pretty significant premium for a long time, as well as all the short water lines and Arnprior stuff (and that's just die polishing!). 15 people cared enough to get this FS-501 designated at NGC. I don't care that much about this stuff myself either, but you can't deny that somebody paid $164.50 for a coin normally worth 50 cents, even if it was 4-5 years ago.

A while back I decided that despite my personal preferences, minor error coins were trading often enough and at high enough prices to stop dumping them into Coinstar machines. They're not part of my collection and I keep them physically separated so they don't contaminate my preciouses...unless the coin is worth collecting even without the error. Sooner or later I'll get the energy together to start selling them on eBay to fund my purchases.

Even a struck through nickel someone will pay 10 cents for is a 100% return on investment.