• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 d penny

12 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bradford76 said:

coins can be confusing

This is where I think you need some friendly advice. There seems to be this over-hyped notion out there that all "error" coins are extremely valuable. They're not. I don't know if this comes from YouTube, Instagram, or what, but I think most of these people are more interested in becoming internet sensations than promoting sound numismatic knowledge. Your time would be better served by looking at images of actual error and variety coins, and learning to identify them, rather than taking dozens and dozens of pictures of every coin you find in pocket change and posting them on here. Otherwise you risk being the "boy who cried wolf" and when you actually find something, people are just going to skip over it. You can't learn anything by posting "is this an error?" over and over, with nobody knowing what you think you see, and getting "I don't see anything" responses.

3 hours ago, kbbpll said:

This is where I think you need some friendly advice. There seems to be this over-hyped notion out there that all "error" coins are extremely valuable. They're not. I don't know if this comes from YouTube, Instagram, or what, but I think most of these people are more interested in becoming internet sensations than promoting sound numismatic knowledge. Your time would be better served by looking at images of actual error and variety coins, and learning to identify them, rather than taking dozens and dozens of pictures of every coin you find in pocket change and posting them on here. Otherwise you risk being the "boy who cried wolf" and when you actually find something, people are just going to skip over it. You can't learn anything by posting "is this an error?" over and over, with nobody knowing what you think you see, and getting "I don't see anything" responses.

One of the best responses ever!  Excellent advice!

I just trying to see what people say I got a coin just got back from Anacs 1981 with a Balboa struck on it and coin community swore it wasn't a error the only reason I'm asking is because my granddaddy just died he was a error coin collector since the 1930s nobody knew it till he died I found a note and about 40000 coins in a safety deposit box ur right I don't know anything about them I just trying to find out what they are....I mean I got a hand full of Anacs certfied double denomation coins...he work for a federal reserve bank he kept these coin for some reason I just didn't get these off the streets....

1 hour ago, Bradford76 said:

I got a coin just got back from Anacs 1981 with a Balboa struck on it and coin community swore it wasn't a error ....I mean I got a hand full of Anacs certfied double denomation coins...

Would you please post pictures of these coins?

I don't see any errors on the 64-D, I think he kept it because its better struck than most of what was produced from the mint during that timeframe.  And yes if you can photos of the 1981 Balboa would be interesting to see.