• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 S proof quarter?

6 posts in this topic

I got this coin from a quarter game machine and was wondering if it’s a proof coin that somebody spent. It’s in awesome shape and has a mirror like finish. And if it is a proof do people get them graded?

42960A93-26E9-4261-931E-2B6A0BD68AC6.jpeg

316A10F5-23C1-4C8D-8849-A6FEACA26D5E.jpeg

1 hour ago, MattMatt88 said:

Would it be of any value without the whole set?

No when proofs are used in commerce they are then referred to as impaired proofs and have no numismatic value, I find them quite often even found a 2003 just this week.  A fun conversation piece but nothing more.  And in fact a 1968 proof set is not very valuable anyway.

37 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

No when proofs are used in commerce they are then referred to as impaired proofs and have no numismatic value, I find them quite often even found a 2003 just this week.  A fun conversation piece but nothing more.  And in fact a 1968 proof set is not very valuable anyway.

Well darn. It’s pretty cool to find one as shiny as a proof haha. But I appreciate the info. 

This is becoming more common every day as collectors and dealers will break up common year sets and just deposit it in the bank as change. The market for early clad sets really has collapsed that much. There was probably a nice frosty cameo half dollar in that set, and the rest became just change.