• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Coin Collecting for Dummies" - Okay... Interesting.
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Every 3rd page is a quarter sheet advertisement for PCGS.  :roflmao:

Just kidding.  But getting the opportunity to write a book in the "For Dummies" series where you could surreptitiously name drop your own company is the kind of thing you just can't pass up. 

Besides, we know the target audience for this is reading averse.

1 minute ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Every 3rd page is a quarter sheet advertisement for PCGS.  :roflmao:

Just kidding.  But getting the opportunity to write a book in the "For Dummies" series where you could surreptitiously name drop your own company is the kind of thing you just can't pass up. 

Besides, we know the target audience for this is reading averse.

lol I had paid no attention to the authors. I just thought it was funny that someone made this and thought it was even funnier that the thing they highlight on the cover is statehood quarters, because that's something the general public knows.

6 hours ago, Revenant said:

lol I had paid no attention to the authors. I just thought it was funny that someone made this and thought it was even funnier that the thing they highlight on the cover is statehood quarters, because that's something the general public knows.

You might laugh, but it is actually a well written and very informative book. 

I received a copy of the first edition when I was ten, and it was literally the first coin book I ever read (I got this and the 1996 Red Book at the same time). 

I still have my well-used copy on my shelf. 

54 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

You might laugh, but it is actually a well written and very informative book. 

I received a copy of the first edition when I was ten, and it was literally the first coin book I ever read (I got this and the 1996 Red Book at the same time). 

I still have my well-used copy on my shelf. 

That's nice and good to know. Like I said I just found it interesting that there was a "for dummies," for this and that it so deliberately - even on the cover - tried to play to what the lay person would recognize.

🐓: Old thread, notwithstanding, I believe your life would have taken an entirely different trajectory if you'd've had this book.

Q.A.  Is that a compliment, or put-down?  🤔 

🐓😉 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Some years ago I was recruited to update the first edition of Coin Collecting for Dummies, when Ron Guth declined to do so. It seemed like an interesting challenge, but I found the publisher was so rigid in its requirements that writing to them made the whole project a miserable experience for me. I soon gave up on it, telling the publisher that it owed me nothing for my time. I'm glad Neil found the task more rewarding and completed the assignment.

On 1/17/2022 at 2:40 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓: Old thread, notwithstanding, I believe your life would have taken an entirely different trajectory if you'd've had this book.

Q.A.  Is that a compliment, or put-down?  🤔 

🐓😉 

You show that chicken whos boss QA. 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, DWLange said:

... the publisher was so rigid in its requirements ... 

[If first impressions count, I would have been way off the mark. I would have thought the exact opposite. The series suggests flippancy and frivolity. I believe you made the right call.]

On 1/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, DWLange said:

Some years ago I was recruited to update the first edition of Coin Collecting for Dummies, when Ron Guth declined to do so. It seemed like an interesting challenge, but I found the publisher was so rigid in its requirements that writing to them made the whole project a miserable experience for me. I soon gave up on it, telling the publisher that it owed me nothing for my time. I'm glad Neil found the task more rewarding and completed the assignment.

What kind of requirements and rigitidy, Dave ?

I would think that merely updating an existing book would set the ground rules for the editor and the publisher beforehand pretty clearly.  Did they want alot of changes from the 1st Edition ?

I really wish Whitman would do a 2nd Edition for the DOUBLE EAGLES RED BOOK.  18 years and counting.......:|

Contacted Jeff Ambio, co-author with David Akers of the 1907-33 GOLD COINS book.  No 2nd edition likely anytime soon, especially by him.  So if you are into Saints or Indian Heads, get that book while you still can, may not be a 3rd edition in your lifetime. xD

On 1/17/2022 at 5:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I thought I was a dummie coin collector. Didnt know there was more of us out there. lol i dont feel so bad now. 

Hey, be happy...at least you're not a BIG Dummie like this guy.....xD

Lamont Sanford aka Big Dummy.png

Edited by GoldFinger1969
Smaller Image used

On 1/17/2022 at 6:53 PM, RWB said:

Do you mean this one....? "A guide Book of Double Eagle Gold Coins: A Complete History and Price Guide"

Yup...not as good as yours IMO for Saints of course....but covered Saints & Liberty's in a more consise manner.

Book is easier to bring to the beach, too. xD

On 1/17/2022 at 7:16 PM, RWB said:

This was among subjects discussed pre-pandemic, but it has not been mentioned since.

What was discussed, someone (you ?) doing an update of the book ?  

If I had the time,and resources I'd approach Whitman !! xD

I wonder how many of those they sell a year...has to be a few hundred, maybe low-1000's ?