• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA and NGC to Launch ANA Registry

49 posts in this topic

I am going back to the original announcement as the most recent blog comments are getting into the many "what if" detail that I trust will be worked out over time ... I believe this is a great move of NGC of setting up a Non profit (ANA) to host a Registry.  I believe the goal is to continue to spur interest amoung the collecting community by offering an environment for collectors to challenge ourselves to setting collecting goals and ability to bench mark against others with the same interest.  If you look around the web there are others that had started more all inclusive registry that even acknowledge 3rd party  grading support i.e. CAC.  Look at the nice effort that GFRC "Open Set Registry Community Project For Certified and Uncertified (Raw) Coins" {{ www.seateddimevarieties.com/openregistry/  }} had started.  It is a nice outlet to host all levels of collectors.   NGC working with the ANA is a great partnership that can really help a diverse collecting community with building a shared interest in building coin collections.

It would be nice if the ANA and NGC reach out to many of you for input and help in making this work

5 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

If you read the press release the ANA will only be US coins so all those issues with how world coins are cataloged are a non factor.  If at some time in the future world coins do get added then I'm sure the rules of what is allowed will follow how NGC catalogs world coins as it would be their database that would be supplying the data.  The registry is being developed and paid for by NGC so I'm betting that the ANA has less to say about the rules than NGC so I expect that it will closely mirror what we see here now.

Well, poop.  I totally missed that teeny tiny detail :roflmao:

And here I've been wondering away.  Oh well, no ANA sets for me I guess!  At least none that matter.  I think my Saints are ranked something like #42.

On 2/1/2020 at 11:16 AM, mania said:

... as the most recent blog comments are getting into the many "what if" detail that I trust will be worked out over time ... 

Well, when you get an early stage announcement with relatively few details I think you have to expect a burst of rampant speculation and fishing for responses with more information. :)

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:49 PM, Coinbuf said:

An ANA Registry not allowing ANACs seems odd.

Not at all! The ANA and ANACS haven't had anything to do with each other for several decades. The LAST time they had ANYTHING to do with each other is now 30 years in the past.

Edited by VKurtB

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 6:41 PM, allan70 said:

I agree 100%. I hope they will let ANACS in the ANA Registry. 

I think you can FORGET that concept. Only the top  2, IF both of them; no ICG, no ANACS, no anybody else. The ANA has exactly ONE official grading firm, and it's NGC.

9 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Not at all! The ANA and ANACS haven't had anything to do with each other for several decades. The LAST time they had ANYTHING to do with each other is now 30 years in the past.

They don't have to have something going with each other to be odd, the ANA should be an independent party and thus be more inclusive of other TPG's such as ANACS and perhaps ICG.  I realize that is not the world we live in and that because NGC is footing the bill the ANA is not calling the shots but I still think that in an ANA registry more should be included than just two TPGs.

9 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I think you can FORGET that concept. Only the top  2, IF both of them; no ICG, no ANACS, no anybody else. The ANA has exactly ONE official grading firm, and it's NGC.

VKurtB  you maybe right but i'm still hoping that they let ANACS in the ANA Registry. I don't know why ANACS don't have one of their own.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, Coinbuf said:

They don't have to have something going with each other to be odd, the ANA should be an independent party and thus be more inclusive of other TPG's such as ANACS and perhaps ICG.  I realize that is not the world we live in and that because NGC is footing the bill the ANA is not calling the shots but I still think that in an ANA registry more should be included than just two TPGs.

Please. The ANA isn't even neutral between PCGS and NGC; they have an officially endorsed grading firm, and it's NGC. Besides, ANACS has a far lower reputation in the marketplace, and ICG even lower. It's not a Chevy vs. Ford thing; it's a Chevy vs. Yugo thing.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Please. The ANA isn't even neutral between PCGS and NGC; they have an officially endorsed grading firm, and it's NGC. Besides, ANACS has a far lower reputation in the marketplace, and ICG even lower. It's not a Chevy vs. Ford thing; it's a Chevy vs. Yugo thing.

This isn't about marketplace values its about coins and displaying collections, in that regard the ANA should be neutral and more inclusive than a registry run by a TPG.  I understand the reasons why perfectly, doesn't change my opinion.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, allan70 said:

VKurtB  you maybe right but i'm still hoping that they let ANACS in the ANA Registry. I don't know why ANACS don't have one of their own.

One of the reasons that has been given in the past is that ANACS doesn't have or doesn't allow access to a database of cert numbers.  With no access to verify cert numbers anyone could enter any coin with any grade they wished make up a cert number and nobody would be the wiser.  There is one registry that does allow ANACS, SEGS, others, and raw coins to be listed and given scoring, but its a small somewhat limited (limited in the kind of sets allowed) registry and relies on the members being honest and ethical.  That works well because no monetary prizes are awarded thus very little motivation to "create" false entries.  But when money enters the equation the motivation to cheat changes, we just had an example this week of someone that attempted to use an NGC cert number of a coin that was crossed and is now in a PCGS holder in the registry here.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:32 AM, Coinbuf said:

There is one registry that does allow ANACS, SEGS, others, and raw coins to be listed and given scoring, but its a small somewhat limited (limited in the kind of sets allowed) registry and relies on the members being honest and ethical.  That works well because no monetary prizes are awarded thus very little motivation to "create" false entries.  But when money enters the equation the motivation to cheat changes, we just had an example this week of someone that attempted to use an NGC cert number of a coin that was crossed and is ow in a PCGS holder in the registry here.

Coinbuf what registry is that ? If i may asks.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, allan70 said:

Coinbuf what registry is that ? If i may asks.

Its a site dedicated to seated coinage so unless you are a collector of seated coins it wouldn't help you as only seated sets are represented.  As I said its a very limited registry in the scope of the sets involved.

5 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Its a site dedicated to seated coinage so unless you are a collector of seated coins it wouldn't help you as only seated sets are represented.  As I said its a very limited registry in the scope of the sets involved.

Ok Coinbuf thanks

Allan70 ... it is  GFRC "Open Set Registry Community Project For Certified and Uncertified (Raw) Coins" {{ www.seateddimevarieties.com/openregistry/  }}  They have a few volunteers that help to expand for a few sets beyond Seated Coins.  Still nice to look at

I am sure it will happen but there was never a firm timeframe only that the first awards are scheduled for Aug 2021.  As that is still over a year away I am guessing a launch sometime the first qtr of 2021, but that is just my uninformed guess.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, VKurtB said:

The ANA isn't even neutral between PCGS and NGC; they have an officially endorsed grading firm, and it's NGC

Because NGC offered them more money than anyone else.  It was a solicitation for financial payment and it was open to all the grading services, even the fourth tier and fly-by-nights.  It had nothing to do with grading ability.

I am nearly certain any and all awards will be part of the annual World's Fair of Money in August. 2021 and 2022 will be in Rosemont, Illinois, near O'Hare Airport, and 2023 is nearly a cinch to be in Pittsburgh as a "make up" for 2020.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:19 AM, Coinbuf said:

I am sure it will happen but there was never a firm timeframe only that the first awards are scheduled for Aug 2021.  As that is still over a year away I am guessing a launch sometime the first qtr of 2021, but that is just my uninformed guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhat disrupted by Covid - what hasn't been? But they'll do anything they can to hold on to Aug 2021 for the first awards

Since they will auto populate it with the NGC registry they basically just need to have it up by April or May to have a bit of a lag for the sake of checking boxes and having the normal cut-offs.

All just me guessing.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:23 AM, Conder101 said:

Because NGC offered them more money than anyone else.  It was a solicitation for financial payment and it was open to all the grading services, even the fourth tier and fly-by-nights.  It had nothing to do with grading ability.

By the way, the same applies to "official auctioneer" status. And they pay FAAAAAR more for the honor than any TPG service ever did.

Edited by VKurtB