• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA and NGC to Launch ANA Registry

49 posts in this topic

While I like the idea (and have long advocated for it), what's the difference between the NGC and ANA registries? It seems like NGC is footing the bill, and the entire NGC registry is just going to be ported to the ANA registry. Is there going to be anything that sets this new ANA registry apart? 

Will this new ANA registry mean that the NGC registry will be changing? (perhaps going back again to NGC only?)

Will the new registry accept coins besides PCGS and NGC? I think including ANACS and ICG would be high on many collectors lists. 

And, perhaps most significantly given NGC's recent underwhelming trend: will this new Registry be introduced fully-featured, with working technology, or will it be some half-baked new gizmo that limps alongside the old thing? 

I like the announcement, but I'm skeptical. 

I am VERY happy about it but it does seem redundant, now that the all inclusive NGC Registry is back. 

I was wondering what will set it (ANA Registry) apart from the NGC Registry? 

Can someone from NGC please chime in and explain the strategic plan here?  Thank You.  

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

I see this developing in two possible ways: either some of this stuff you talk about will set them apart, or, it will eventually be announced that NGC is retiring this, incomplete new registry and the ANA Registry is the "NEW new NGC Registry." Looking at the announcement, I'm thinking 2020 may be the last year for the NGC Registry awards with the ANA awards replacing them in 2021, unless this new ANA registry is delayed. That is all, of course, 100% speculation on my part.

Edited to add: the only rationale I could see for keeping both unless they differentiate them somehow is that the ANA Registry will depend on the continued partnership between ANA and NGC where the NGC Registry doesn't, so ditching this place and going all-in with ANA could pose some business risks for NGC.

Personally, I could really get behind this place going NGC-only, with no grandfathering, and the ANA Registry becoming the platform for mixed sets. But I really hope they at least open things to ANACs coins there if that happens. An ANA Registry not allowing ANACs seems odd.

Spot on and exactly what came to mind when I read about this.

In the press release it only lists NGC and PCGS coins ANACS is not allowed, This seems odd at first thought however since it is NGC that is footing the bill and the new ANA registry is going to start as a copy of the current NGC registry sets it becomes clear why ANACS graded coins will not be included.  The biggest question is will this ANA registry be a copy of the incomplete and somewhat broken current NGC registry format or is this going to be a clean sheet new registry design.  If this is a true copy with no changes or fixes and enhancements from the current NGC registry then I really don't see the big deal, it will just be a copy of what already is.  It also says that while you don't have to be an ANA member to list a set only ANA members are eligible to win any monetary prizes, a bid to increase ANA membership I'm sure.  However I don't see how that will be an incentive for many like myself.

Edited to add that this has me putting a hold on buying any coins for a registry set until I see how this all shakes out, If NGC scraps the registry here and only uses this ANA one I'm done with it altogether.

Edited by Coinbuf

6 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

It also says that while you don't have to be an ANA member to list a set only ANA members are eligible to win any monetary prizes, a bid to increase ANA membership I'm sure.  However I don't see how that will be an incentive for many like myself.

For $28 / year I could probably be convinced, which I'm sure is what they're hoping for, because so far I've never been a member. I am a paid member here again now for about $20-25 a year, which is about the same. I'm not sure if I'd keep both though. I'd have to think on that.

2 minutes ago, Revenant said:

For $28 / year I could probably be convinced, which I'm sure is what they're hoping for, because so far I've never been a member. I am a paid member here again now for about $20-25 a year, which is about the same. I'm not sure if I'd keep both though. I'd have to think on that.

Now we know why you win the monetary awards here :roflmao:JK, but in all seriousness if any of the big players from the PCGS registry (think Hanson and other whales) decide to enter sets in the new ANA registry little fish like myself will have zero chance of winning anything so no reason to be an ANA member. 

5 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Now we know why you win the monetary awards here :roflmao:JK, but in all seriousness if any of the big players from the PCGS registry (think Hanson and other whales) decide to enter sets in the new ANA registry little fish like myself will have zero chance of winning anything so no reason to be an ANA member. 

Hmmm.... That's a fair point.

lol I've been here 12 years. This is the first time they've given me money / credit and I'm honestly not even sure what to do with it. lol 

16 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

I am VERY happy about it but it does seem redundant, now that the all inclusive NGC Registry is back. 

Only on the US side.  World coins still are NGC only.

This announcement really is interesting given the rather sudden return of the PCGS coins--somewhat premeditated and strategic in retrospect.  And, wouldn't it be nice if a set could be made on the ANA site that has ANACS, ICG, and even raw coins.  How to score points on the later would perhaps be the owner could give their grade, which would count for 75%.  Photos required and anyone who doesn't agree can ask for a more 'official' determination.  We all have rose tinted glasses on when it comes to our own coins after all.

And custom sets?  That would be cool.  

I would also like to see ANACS and ICG included, but for world coins I can see where it could become crazy - the Canadians would probably lobby for the inclusion of ICCS and maybe CCCS, etc. I also mulled over the prospect of raw coins, but anything grade-based would be crazy too. If it was opened up to community-based grading, the prospect of "shill graders" comes to mind.

Reduntant ... 

Someones in bed with someone ... ANA memberships maybe ... If they open it up to ANACS / ICG  maybe something there

2 hours ago, KStouch- NGC Admin said:

Thank you for your concerns, but there are absolutely no plans to eventually phase out the NGC Registry. We’ve made a lot of investments in the NGC Registry over the last year and with this announcement we will be devoting even more resources towards making the NGC Registry and the ANA Registry the best possible platforms for collectors. It’s not difficult for us to support a shared database – we already host the NGC Registry on NGCcoin.com, NGCcoin.cn, NGCcoin.hk and NGCcoin.hk, all using a shared database. Whether you choose to use the NGC Registry or the ANA Registry or both, you can expect to see lots of new and improved features in the near future. Stay tuned for more information in the coming months as we continue to develop the NGC Registry and ANA Registry.

Thank you for the response and the clarity. :)

15 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Edited to add that this has me putting a hold on buying any coins for a registry set until I see how this all shakes out, If NGC scraps the registry here and only uses this ANA one I'm done with it altogether.

Sounds like "Sleepy Hollow" is safe and we can continue our staid toils without fear. :) I'll shut-up now and wait until they tell us more. lol 

23 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

I am VERY happy about it but it does seem redundant, now that the all inclusive NGC Registry is back

Sounds to me like the recently restored all inclusive NGC registry will become the ANA registry and the Exclusive NGC registry will return.

57 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Sounds to me like the recently restored all inclusive NGC registry will become the ANA registry and the Exclusive NGC registry will return.

Guess we'll have to see on if this place goes full-NGC only or not. But we have PCGS coins here for now and everything we do here in the interim will port over when the time comes. Seems like a win / good deal for us either way.

7 hours ago, KStouch said:

Personally, I could really get behind this place going NGC-only, with no grandfathering, and the ANA Registry becoming the platform for mixed sets. But I really hope they at least open things to ANACs coins there if that happens. An ANA Registry not allowing ANACs seems odd

I agree 100%. I hope they will let ANACS in the ANA Registry. 

Edited by allan70

On 1/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, Conder101 said:

Doubtful.  It would make zero sense to restore the registry only to scuttle it once again.

1 hour ago, Walkerfan said:

Doubtful.  It would make zero sense to restore the registry only to scuttle it once again.

Well, you could let us update / build out our sets and compete in the mean time, copy everything over to ANA, have the 2020 registry awards and do the purge in January like they did last time.

Thing is, since they'll be running both from the same database, I don't know if they even can allow them one place and ban / exclude elsewhere - and that might also be the reason they aren't saying ANA will have ANACs. But... Like I said, I don't know. I guess we'll see how things evolve through 2021.

I wonder if the ANA will give it’s awards out to sets no matter what the percentage of NGC or PCGS is. NGC only gives its awards to sets that have 75% NGC coins but the ANA might not do that. If the ANA gives its awards out without percentage requirements for NGC or PCGS then it’s possible the ANA registry could become the single registry where everyone could compete. I think it would be crucial to keep the NGC registry rules as is and accept both NGC and PCGS with an emphasis on NGC.

I wonder how things will be handled where there is a discrepancy in how NGC and PCGS utilize cataloging.  For Japanese coins PCGS has moved to using the JNDA, but there are tons of slabs without certain designations vs. NGC that follows Krause and is missing (and has at least one non-existent) variety.  On a simple level for example, there are three 'types' for a Japanese 1 yen in 1870.  For type 1 though, there are two varieties noted in JNDA and on the newer PCGS slabs.  Krause only recognizes 1,2,3.  So, would the ANA set include all four of the three types (I just like saying that :D), or only 3.  Then how would the PCGS slabs get shoehorned in? 

Will the sets be more free form?  Will the custom sets carry over?  Would a top pop for a given service be awarded a benefit (I know one series where one company is about a point looser, and have no intention of crossing this way and that to get the looser grade just for a registry, but we know people who will).  And what about +, *, and PL?  Not all equally applied.  

So though the ANA registry will have NGC data, I'm assuming it will have different rules.  NGC and PCGS can also run their registries too.  Just which playground do you want to be in I suppose.  This could get very interesting especially with the non-US collections.

Ooo, and will my ANA account match me to my StarCityHomer account here?  I use a different handle most other places.  This one got defaulted to as this was the name I had my registries under.  I lost my 'other' identity here.  

15 hours ago, Revenant said:

I don't know if they even can allow them one place and ban / exclude elsewhere

Speaking as a retired database guy, this would be easy to implement from a shared database. The database would have a "TPG" column, and the query (filter) passed to the database can select whatever combination of "TPG" values desired in the results. ANA site passes one query, NGC site passes another. I don't know what happened during the prior "purge", but it wouldn't surprise me if all that data still existed somewhere, perhaps even in the current database - they could just exclude it from view.

2 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

I wonder how things will be handled where there is a discrepancy in how NGC and PCGS utilize cataloging.  For Japanese coins PCGS has moved to using the JNDA, but there are tons of slabs without certain designations vs. NGC that follows Krause and is missing (and has at least one non-existent) variety.  On a simple level for example, there are three 'types' for a Japanese 1 yen in 1870.  For type 1 though, there are two varieties noted in JNDA and on the newer PCGS slabs.  Krause only recognizes 1,2,3.  So, would the ANA set include all four of the three types (I just like saying that :D), or only 3.  Then how would the PCGS slabs get shoehorned in? 

Will the sets be more free form?  Will the custom sets carry over?  Would a top pop for a given service be awarded a benefit (I know one series where one company is about a point looser, and have no intention of crossing this way and that to get the looser grade just for a registry, but we know people who will).  And what about +, *, and PL?  Not all equally applied.  

So though the ANA registry will have NGC data, I'm assuming it will have different rules.  NGC and PCGS can also run their registries too.  Just which playground do you want to be in I suppose.  This could get very interesting especially with the non-US collections.

Ooo, and will my ANA account match me to my StarCityHomer account here?  I use a different handle most other places.  This one got defaulted to as this was the name I had my registries under.  I lost my 'other' identity here.  

If you read the press release the ANA will only be US coins so all those issues with how world coins are cataloged are a non factor.  If at some time in the future world coins do get added then I'm sure the rules of what is allowed will follow how NGC catalogs world coins as it would be their database that would be supplying the data.  The registry is being developed and paid for by NGC so I'm betting that the ANA has less to say about the rules than NGC so I expect that it will closely mirror what we see here now.