• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANACS coins

13 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mike Elwell said:

Will ANACS certified coins ever be allowed as are PCGS coins to our registry?

Hello Mike, 

We do not have any current plans to allow ANACS coins in the NGC Registry.  Thank you for your interest in the NGC Registry.

Edited by Maribeth

15 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Nor in the recently announced ANA registry based on the press release.

"The ANA Registry will allow both NGC- and PCGS-certified U.S. coins to be registered and displayed,......"

Which is just a little hilarious.

49 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Which is just a little hilarious.

Ironic even.  

Not intending to hijack a thread but I always felt like if ANACS would dedicate the resources to a registry of their own it would help garner more income.  There's plenty of tight-budgeted new collectors out there that would gladly populate it at the price point they offer.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:32 PM, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Ironic even.  

Not intending to hijack a thread but I always felt like if ANACS would dedicate the resources to a registry of their own it would help garner more income.  There's plenty of tight-budgeted new collectors out there that would gladly populate it at the price point they offer.

I wish they would. I don't understand why ANACS don't have a registry.

I would also like to see anacs honored competatively or not. I prefer how the ngc registry is set up over all, vs. Pcgs and use it more , but i have to say, i can list anything i have in theirs...I don't think it even needs to be certified ...it just won't be used in their competative registry nor publicly shown . however,for a personal organizational tool it is a pretty good concept. I say and i bet some other people will agree that it would be fantastic to add and share everything a person owns and desries to share from their coin collection and make sets from them that can be shared publicly, but only ngc and now pcgs (and Idealy anacs as well) would be competitive and count twords the points and awards. Just a consideration . 

Also I would like to make a "general collection" registry set where everything except two of the same coin(if I have five 1999 d pennies , whatever one is the best version like a variety coin or error coin or if not , the best label like first day of issue is the one that counts) will be added up.  

NGC and PCGS are the top two qith ANACS in third BUT, ANACS was the first to start grading Silver Eagles. Seems like the top two want space between them and ANACS by not recognizing them in collections. All this registry is, is a place to brag on your collection so why not let us brag on ALL our certified coins? They say buy the coin, not the label, here it is the label first.

18 minutes ago, Mike Elwell said:

NGC and PCGS are the top two qith ANACS in third BUT, ANACS was the first to start grading Silver Eagles. Seems like the top two want space between them and ANACS by not recognizing them in collections. All this registry is, is a place to brag on your collection so why not let us brag on ALL our certified coins? They say buy the coin, not the label, here it is the label first.

I would suggest that you have all the facts before you go on the attack.  First and foremost this is the only registry run by a TPG that allows any competitors coins to be included in the competitive registry.  While that was suspended for a time it is back now and it is a huge plus over the other firm ats.  Secondly ANACS hasn't been considered "on-par" with the grading principles of the big two for quite some time now.  It would be like comparing a Hyundai to a Bentley, apples to oranges, or whatever analogy you like to use.  The point is that for a competitive registry to be competitive the participants have to be reasonably equal, and the marketplace hasn't seen ANACS as equal for a very long time.

I have a custom set of old obsolete slabs and I would love nothing more than to have many of the older small white ANACS slabs in my collection allowed to be shown in that custom set.  So I too would love to have ANACS included; at least for the non-competitive custom sets; but I realize that a TPG is a business and that a registry is a way for that business to showcase its products not to showcase the products of its competitors.

I and many others are happy that NGC rescinded its policy and now allows the top two TPG's into the registry again.  I had hoped that someday the ANA would develop an independent registry, one that was inclusive of coins and not dependent on a brand of plastic, however that is not the way things have evolved.  So for the time being I enjoy what is and don't get my shorts all bunched up over what is not.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone (you perhaps) to start a competitive registry of your own where you can set the rules to your liking and not be constrained by the business aspect of running a TPG.  Who knows it could be the most popular registry the coin industry has ever seen.

You of course have the option to cross those ANACS graded coins into NGC or PCGS plastic, it will cost up front but when the time to sell comes you may (or may not) get that money back in the form of higher selling prices.  Not a perfect solution for sure but it is an option.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone (you perhaps) to start a competitive registry of your own where you can set the rules to your liking and not be constrained by the business aspect of running a TPG.  Who knows it could be the most popular registry the coin industry has ever seen.

The problem here that I'm sure you see but which others might not is that this place is "free," because it and the awards are paid for with a small part of the grading fees that NGC pulls in - including the fees for all those monster box submissions that people like the chuckle over.

A registry not associated with a grading service would have to be self supporting, which would probably mean membership fees - since I don't see ads doing the job. I don't think there are enough people willing to pay to join a registry. This one is free and still has only about 13,000-14,000 members that are mostly inactive.