• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much value does a CAC sticker really add to a coin?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Question for the group (All opinions welcomed)

I have the opportunity to purchase a rare 1893-O Morgan in either AU50 or AU53. The AU53 Morgan has slightly better eye appeal (in that it is more "white". However, under 7x magnification is extensively bagmarked. The bagmarking is hard to appreciate without magnification) but is slightly more expensive than the AU50 (by about $55). The AU50 is CAC-stickered but, in my opinion, the eye appeal isn’t as nice.In your opinions, which is the better choice to buy? Does a CAC sticker add that much value if/when I decide to sell?

Thank you in advance for your opinions

MOC

Here's a bunch of opinion:

Buy the one you like more.

CAC has been useful to me buying coins over the Internet when you do not get to see the coin in person.  It's a worthy second opinion.

Buy the coin, not the plastic, and not the sticker.

I think it is reasonable to pay more for a CAC coin due to the submission fee and second opinion. How much more depends.  If an AU50 coin sells for $900 and an AU53 for $1000, I would not pay more than half the difference ($950 at most) and that's only if I like the coin anyway.

Talk up the future benefits of having the CAC bean on the 50 when resell comes then ask for a discount on the 53 which you like better but does not come with that same security of future value.

I agree with Blake's opinion above.

According to your journal entry on this subject, you seemed  to be happy with the 53 until you looked at it under magnification. There is no reason to think that the AU50 would would be any less baggy when viewed through a loupe, and it could be even more so, since it has seen more circulation. The presence of a sticker does not mean the coin has superior eye appeal, and, judging by your description, it does not - at least in your eyes. The sticker just means that it was judged to be properly graded, and meets their standards for quality, according to their website. Does the AU53 look to be properly graded, in your opinion? If so, is it worth the additional money to you to have a better looking coin with slightly less wear?

12 hours ago, Just Bob said:

According to your journal entry on this subject, you seemed  to be happy with the 53 until you looked at it under magnification. There is no reason to think that the AU50 would would be any less baggy when viewed through a loupe, and it could be even more so, since it has seen more circulation. The presence of a sticker does not mean the coin has superior eye appeal, and, judging by your description, it does not - at least in your eyes. The sticker just means that it was judged to be properly graded, and meets their standards for quality, according to their website. Does the AU53 look to be properly graded, in your opinion? If so, is it worth the additional money to you to have a better looking coin with slightly less wear?

I completely agree with Just Bob's comments.  It just mystifies me how adding a green sticker to a slab, simply confirming their further agreement with the grade, would add significant value to a coin.  I guess its the principle of perceived value, a portion of the collecting community believing the additional evaluation confirming the originally granted grade is worth a premium.  I guess it also implies the coins grade is not only solid but also is at the top end of all the coins of that grade. 

A very difficult question to answer as eye appeal is a very individual and subjective issue.  From a strict monetary viewpoint the coin with the green bean will in todays market often bring as much or in some cases even more that the next grade.  Even in those cases where the price isn't affected greatly the liquidity of the coin wearing the bean is quite often greater than one without.  I'll also point out that some collectors are beginning to see any expensive or key coin that doesn't have a bean as a coin that has been sent and failed to receive a bean, thus automatically discounting or rejecting altogether those coins.  Of course the one thing none of us can know is how long (and to what extent) will CAC continue to impact and shape the markets perception in the future; will this continue past the time when JA passes the torch or will that event create a new perception and market shift.

I have no answers to your question I can only say that in my case when I'm looking to spend over 1k on a coin I consider that more of an investment so the presence or lack of a bean doesn't dictate my decision but it certainly does become a factor.

5 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I'll also point out that some collectors are beginning to see any expensive or key coin that doesn't have a bean as a coin that has been sent and failed to receive a bean, thus automatically discounting or rejecting altogether those coins. 

I can see that as being true and that is sad.