• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

El Cazador - genuine or not?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I have seen many shipwreck coins over the years slabbed and loose but never in this condition. Owner has a lot of these (1, 2, and 8R) some with certs some not. 

My first impression was the lettering looked a bit to clean for the era ... not sure. It has the correct dimension and weight.

The ones that look this good make me hesitant (no cert) .... Possible fake? Any input would be appreciated! 

IMG_8443.jpg

IMG_8444.jpg

Edited by TMGIONET
more information

Surface and color don't look right to me. What I see could also be the results of nestling in and hosing off sea crud, but I can't reconcile the evident lack of major circulation with the surface. Something seems to be up.

Thank you I appreciate your input. Agreed on the surface and color. While I have seen this coin in similar condition that has been placed into pendant type jewelry it just appears to me to be 'too' flawless. What do you think about the lettering shape for that era? My first thought was it should be a bit less perfect (??)

I don't have a lot of experience with Spanish coin history and as of yet do not own any  .... just know what I have seen from other collectors every now and again.