• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J. M. Walker - Buying $1 and $3 Gold

15 posts in this topic

Enterprising coin dealer J. M. Walker had the idea to distribute a card & envelope combination soliciting purchase of $1 and $3 gold coins from merchants and bankers. In early 1900 he wrote to the Mint Bureau requesting permission to quote  mintage quantities for both coins on his promotional card. He was told it was OK to do, and when printing was complete he sent the mint a sample. The 3x5 card is two-sided and intended to be attached to a similar sized envelope. Merchants could put any gold they found in the envelope and sent it the Mr. Walker for his "good premium" offer.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Edited by RWB

On 1/23/2020 at 9:32 PM, RWB said:

Hi offers might be a little "stale" by now - kind of like a 1900 fruit cake.

Wait a minute.......Are you implying that a fruitcake can get stale ?

I've been stockpiling them since the 60's......

Definition: Fruitcake - "An ancient, monastically approved method for storing strong liquor when bottles are prohibited or unavailable.(Note - There is no reliable documentation that anyone has ever actually eaten a fruitcake.

Anyone know more about J. M. Walker ?

On January 26, 2020 at 10:41 AM, RWB said:

Definition: Fruitcake - "An ancient, monastically approved method for storing strong liquor when bottles are prohibited or unavailable.(Note - There is no reliable documentation that anyone has ever actually eaten a fruitcake.

I know a lot about Johnny Walker and saturating fruitcakes with it. Does that count?

Get this - Claxton fruitcake doesn't even have any hooch in it, unless you put it in there.

This is my favorite fruit cake - Collins Street

https://www.collinstreet.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&keyword=collin street bakery catalog&cmpid=364835661&adg=1231453216183270&apos=

I have another standby - but I can't think of it -- maybe a little too much J. walker!

to keep this coin related - we put a penny in it for good luck (English)

Edited by Zebo

@RWB

That's a cold shot!  :roflmao:

I don't know how this comment got past me the first go-round! 😉  

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: mis-stroke

On 1/16/2022 at 6:00 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@RWB

That's a cold shot!  :roflmao:

I don't know how this comment got past me the first go-round! 😉  

Carpathian fruitcake is so smoooooth -- it'll get by your innards with hardly a burp.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:28 PM, RWB said:

Carpathian fruitcake is so smoooooth -- it'll get by your innards with hardly a burp.

Isn’t Carpathia really near Transylvania?

On 1/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, RWB said:

I may have drank a couple fruitcakes in my day then. Our counties used to be dry. We had to go to a bootlegger to keep from driving to the next county over. They have since gone wet. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:39 PM, VKurtB said:

Isn’t Carpathia really near Transylvania?

What's the present DUI rate compared to pre-wet?