• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1875 japan one yen

5 posts in this topic

There are two types of this coin but not for sure how to tell them apart.  Could someone please point me in the right direction.  I believe it is the dragon scales but not for sure18751.jpg.f13173341701012a384474c24e39ccba.jpg

1875.jpg

PM sent, but I'm thinking it's the style of the 1 in the 416.  One of the older years of the JNDA has a special section on the 1 yen.  Can't quite remember it off the top of my head but maybe the 2015 or 2016.  The google translate app can kind of/sort of help but last time I looked at it seriously it was about a different year.

EDIT: INCORRECT ANSWER, please see post below.

Here you go: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces129442.html. I assume you've already determined it is the large type and are trying to determine the correct reference. In your picture the obverse is upside down and the spiral on the pearl is clockwise, so Y# A25.2.

If it's between large type and small type, the easy way is diameter: 38.6 vs 38.1 mm.

Edited by Kirt

1 hour ago, Kirt said:

Here you go: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces129442.html. I assume you've already determined it is the large type and are trying to determine the correct reference. In your picture the obverse is upside down and the spiral on the pearl is clockwise, so Y# A25.2.

If it's between large type and small type, the easy way is diameter: 38.6 vs 38.1 mm.

He was referring to the subtype for year 8, not year 7. 

JNDA distinguishes between the two types for year 8 (as well as 4 types for year 7).  The Numista photo is of a year 8.  Sadly I don't read Japanese and rely on a partial translation of the catalog and a translation program.  Neither of which is completely satisfactory, but the best I can do. 

In any case the JNDA does have a good illustration for the pearl spiral as well as the calligraphy of the 7 character for the varieties.  

My bad - I jumped right to the subtype and should have confirmed the year. I don't read Japanese either, apart from numbers which didn't help in this case because I didn't check. Thanks for clarifying.