• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It pays to try different search terms (and to study your reference books)

7 posts in this topic

I'm going to give your advise a try. I'm not very good at the internet search. For the most part, I visit a few dealer sites and a few auction sites. Congratulations on finding the rare token you bought for 5 bucks. 

Shhh....you're giving away all the good tips @Just Bob!  But seriously, if we're sharing then I'll concur your tip is spot on.  I like to go through the categories and continue applying filters to narrow down the search but if I have more time then random keyword searches across all categories works very well.  I find that there's a lot of people that have acquired coins, tokens, numista at some point and it's not their primary selling item so when they list it they'll put it in an odd category.  Sometimes it's that they intend to put it in the right category but chose the "Sell Similar" option on a wrong item or used the wrong listing template.

Once you find one of those sellers though it's a good idea to add them to your Saved sellers and check in on their listings periodically.  

Also, not sure if this is widely known for buyers, but even if the listing doesn't have the "Best Offer" option listed the seller can send you an offer.  But you have to add the item to your watchlist first.  I usually go through my listings once a day to send offers on those eligible. 

It happened again.

The auction for this token just ended, and I won it, despite two snipe bids, both of which were too low ;). The words "Mississippi" and "token" were nowhere in the listing title. I found it by searching for "Miss" under Exonumia.

Although this piece is listed in Chatham's book, it is not the normal "good for" or advertising token that I usually buy. It is a 1939 dated piece that commemorates 50 years of The Jackson-State National Bank. It is listed as an R8 (4-5 known) and appears to be in pretty decent shape, judging by the seller's not-too-clear pictures, which are below.

image.thumb.png.6f37d478b5c82a3dbd8156393c7e7315.png

image.thumb.png.530b6ebe23718e03bebe5cd722f18d1e.png