• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-grading
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I have some (12)1916-P mercury dimes that are really nice with full bands but I dont want to slab them unless they are MS65 or higher. A chat group I am in suggested that there is a pre-grading option for submitting where I can choose to slab only coins above a certain grade and pay a lower fee for those that would not grade. Is this an option? I would also wonder if I can use the same option for cleaned coins or or no-grade coins?

Thanks

Paul 

• Administrator

Hi Paulezy,

Thank you for your message. We offer a PreScreen service that reviews coins before they are encapsulated. This service is reserved for Authorized Dealers and Elite Collectors Society members only with submissions of 100 or more coins of the same type.

We appreciate your interest in NGC. 

I am a newbie. Correct me if I am wrong. It is up to me to figure out if a coin I have is worth grading and slabbing, correct? The pre-screen process requirements stated above tell me I am basically on my own (with help from forum members?) until I find something that is worth spending the $$ to have graded and slabbed. I do not have 100 coins of a kind to submit, nor am I a part of the elite collectors society. Maybe one day!

• Administrator

Hi,

We recommend that you find a reputable dealer who can tell you about a particular coin and whether it would be worthwhile to have it graded. The NGC Dealer Locator is a great tool to find a dealer in your area. People will sometimes submit coins of sentimental value to preserve them and safely show them to friends and collectors.