• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-grading with choice of slabing or not
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I have some (12)1916-P mercury dimes that are really nice with full bands but I dont want to slab them unless they are MS65 or higher. A chat group I am in suggested that there is a pre-grading option for submitting where I can choose to slab only coins above a certain grade and pay a lower fee for those that would not grade. Is this an option? I would also wonder if I can use the same option for cleaned coins or or no-grade coins?

Thanks

Paul 

Edited by Paulezy
Added another question

20 hours ago, Paulezy said:

Hello, I have some (12)1916-P mercury dimes that are really nice with full bands but I dont want to slab them unless they are MS65 or higher. A chat group I am in suggested that there is a pre-grading option for submitting where I can choose to slab only coins above a certain grade and pay a lower fee for those that would not grade. Is this an option? I would also wonder if I can use the same option for cleaned coins or or no-grade coins?

Thanks

Paul 

If it is an option, it is probably only available to dealers who submit in bulk. But don't take my word for it. Try reposting your question in the "Ask NGC" forum. Someone from the company will see your post there.

Edited by Just Bob
typo

Paul,

You could take your dimes to a dealer near you and have him or her grade them. Then just submit the ones you want slabbed to NGC.

Would be GREAT to have (12) 1916-D's  (worship)

Edited by Six Mile Rick

I don’t think your quantity is nearly large enough to qualify for bulk screening. Even if it were, however, for so few coins, the total difference in cost for graded coins vs. those below minimum grade, wouldn’t amount to much.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:54 AM, MarkFeld said:

I don’t think your quantity is nearly large enough to qualify for bulk screening. Even if it were, however, for so few coins, the total difference in cost for graded coins vs. those below minimum grade, wouldn’t amount to much.

Agreed. "Bulk" in the mind of a collector, and "bulk" in the mind of a business are very different animals.

• Administrator

@Paulezy The NGC bulk prescreen program is available to Elite Members and Dealer and typically consists of 100 or more of the same type of coin (Silver Eagles, Morgans, Peace Dollars, Lincoln Cents, etc). These members will chose the minimum acceptable grade and submit the coins for evaluation. NGC will only encapsulate the coins that meet the grading criteria and the others will be returned raw. The raw coins will not be charged a fee unless more than 35% of the coins do not meet the criteria.

The graded coins will be charged a fee based on the numerical grade assigned and these fees are listed in the member portal along with the min grade requirements (for common coins). 

*This is called the "Prescreen" service as the submitter is asked to evaluate their coins and send the best possible ones that have a chance at meeting their criteria. This service is very beneficial for the submitter and can keep costs down significantly especially for those coins that may have been over-graded during their prescreen evaluation. 

For your set of coins, I would follow the suggestions of our seasoned veterans and bring them to a few local coin shops (link below) or the Long Beach Show which NGC attends. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/services/dealer-listing.aspx

Collectors who learn to correctly examine and grade coins have no need of a "pre-grading" screening or any other kind of screen -- except maybe a TV screen for the "kind-a super bowl."

On 1/31/2020 at 5:18 PM, RWB said:

Collectors who learn to correctly examine and grade coins have no need of a "pre-grading" screening or any other kind of screen -- except maybe a TV screen for the "kind-a super bowl."

While I agree 100% that collectors should learn how to grade, the fact is that most dealers aren't even that good at grading. Few can split the 60-70 grades accurately. Asking collectors to learn how to do this is just wishful thinking.

As for pre-grading, I'm sure at least one of the TPG offered this MANY years ago. It was not pre-screening/bulk, but rather an actual grade assigned to a coin and for an additional fee you could send it back and have it put in a slab. 

Edited by gmarguli

14 hours ago, gmarguli said:

While I agree 100% that collectors should learn how to grade, the fact is that most dealers aren't even that good at grading. Few can't split the 60-70 grades accurately. Asking collectors to learn how to do this is just wishful thinking.

As for pre-grading, I'm sure at least one of the TPG offered this MANY years ago. It was not pre-screening/bulk, but rather an actual grade assigned to a coin and for an additional fee you could send it back and have it put in a slab. 

Most of the usual coin sellers long ago abrogated coin grading to outsiders, much the same for auction companies. All seem to tout whatever was printed on a label rather than the coin itself, especially when some feeble claim can be made for an "upgrade." (Never a "downgrade"....curious.)