• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wire Rim?

9 posts in this topic

This is caused by a slightly Misaligned Die (MAD). The die is slightly misaligned for the strike and it leads to “finning”. It’s not enough to bring a premium in my opinion, but I am far from an error authority. 

As far as wire rims in general there really isn’t such a thing. Not intentionally anyway. It’s finning caused by something during the strike. I’ll let @RWB get on his soapbox on this. I’ve seen him be passionate about it in a few things I’ve read. 

Edited by Woods020

On 8/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, Woods020 said:

This is caused by a slightly Misaligned Die (MAD). The die is slightly misaligned for the strike and it leads to “finning”. It’s not enough to bring a premium in my opinion, but I am far from an error authority. 

As far as wire rims in general there really isn’t such a thing. Not intentionally anyway. It’s finning caused by something during the strike. I’ll let @RWB get on his soapbox on this. I’ve seen him be passionate about it in a few things I’ve read. 

Yep. A fin is a production defect. Some coins, such as 1907 $10 short run of coins, have a knife rim -- where the field and rim intersect like the edge of a knife---no rim at all.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:23 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Old post that was resurrected, I’ve noticed a few old post popped up today on here don’t know why 

I agree with your observation.  I took a little break away from the forum for awhile some time ago and I remember at that time there seemed to be a whole heck of a lot more newbie questions on a daily basis.  Since getting back on and into this forum a few months ago, I noticed the activity on the newbie question section had diminished considerably since I was last active.  Thinking members here may be just trying to find stuff to comment on........ don't know...... just my 2 pennies worth...... 

Edited by GBrad

On 8/7/2021 at 8:23 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I’ve noticed a few old post popped up today on here don’t know why 

Sometimes spammers get in on the weekend and post their spam to old threads making them pop up, and then the moderators remove the spam posts but it leaves the old posts popped up.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:47 AM, Conder101 said:

Sometimes spammers get in on the weekend and post their spam to old threads making them pop up, and then the moderators remove the spam posts but it leaves the old posts popped up.

Seems to be happening a lot lately. I’ve seen a few and I was the one who responded back to this one and it showed as new. I think your explanation must be what is causing it with no sign of the spam.