• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice enough to grade?

12 posts in this topic

Thanks for the input .I thought the fact that it was a type2 clad doulble die and matched the marks of ddo-001 1965-101(26) on variety Vista would matter?It also matches the photo image on pcgs#147196.Thats why I'm a newbie,thanks again

1 hour ago, Coiname said:

heres a better shot of dd 

I see *something* at the E of Liberty, however, I don't see any of the other markers for the variety you listed. I can't tell what's at the E because the coin is entombed in something which could be distorting its surface quite significantly; that's why I asked if it was in Lucite. The other issue with it being in something like Lucite is going to be getting it out again so it can be properly evaluated before you can determine if it is the variety you believe it to be and what its true condition is. Entombment is usually a 1-way street; objects don't look as good out of the acrylic as in it. There's also a chance of damage to the coin in removing it from whatever it is in.

I strongly recommend leaving it as is; I agree with the others that it's not worth submitting. I see the PCGS cert for the AU58 you're referring to which was auctioned by Heritage at $360. However, if you look at the images of that coin, it's clearly superior to yours. 

If you really have to know, you could try removing it from the acrylic; the discussion has shown up here before: https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/81934-altered-surfaces-removing-lucite/ as well as on a lot of other numismatic sites.

Edited by Kirt
remove picture

I agree that there appear to be some of the markers for an FS-101 but some are also not showing.  Its very difficult to tell if what we think we see in the pic is a reflection/distortion caused by looking thru the acrylic block or real.  The coin looks like an AU50 at best imo and possibly cleaned/polished before encased in the acrylic, but again very difficult to say for sure looking thru that thick block.  Assuming that you can remove the coin without damage I think it would be basically a wash between cost (assuming it straight grades) and possible sale value, just my opinion.

I think you're seeing raised metal due to die deterioration and it's creating the illusion of doubling. Your image is pretty clear of the interiors of BER and it doesn't show the fairly obvious doubling from the ATS image. I would continue to use it as a cool paperweight.

1965_25_DDO.jpg

Thanks Kirt yeah that is acrilic found three dd in a bank pen holder and I removed a 1964rpm dd Jefferson nickle and it was still good.I will remove it a look like you said my pics might not be the best all the  In God We Trust is doubled and the B is most visible but other letters also are doulble under magnification it is highly visible the majority of the west side of the head has a well out lined doubling as well as his eye my pics suck thanks again