• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What awards did members here win from the NGC Registry Awards?

24 posts in this topic

Hey all, what did everyone win from the Registry awards? 

For the first time since recently doing the NGC registry I got "Best in Category" for the Thailand Rama IV set! Very happy, it will be short lived because I got in touch with one of registry guys "Just Play" and he will smoke me out of the water easily when he puts up all his coins in the registry but this is fun and I'm happy.

Congrats to all - it is a neat distinction.   

If NGC is listening, it would be interesting for NGC to have a "peoples choice" for US and/or world categories.   Also, would be nice to see annual set updates as a criteria in the voting.   I have no dog in the fight, but if I were pursuing an ancients custom set, it would be disheartening to get beat by a set that has not been modified since March 2015. 

1 minute ago, worldcoinguy said:

Congrats to all - it is a neat distinction.   

If NGC is listening, it would be interesting for NGC to have a "peoples choice" for US and/or world categories.   Also, would be nice to see annual set updates as a criteria in the voting.   I have no dog in the fight, but if I were pursuing an ancients custom set, it would be disheartening to get beat by a set that has not been modified since March 2015. 

Peoples Choice awards aren't a bad idea, however, I don't think that annual set updates make sense nor should be a priority. 

If you worked hard, sometimes for many years, and have a very high-scoring set, then you should be rewarded. 

Besides, in many instances, it is difficult to improve on an already top-tier set. 

Plus, it gives the trailing set owners something to shoot for.  

30 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Congrats to all the winners, I won 5 best in category and have a total of 25 best in category awards since 2012. 

So when are you going to get around to getting pics up for the nickel and dime in that category-topping 1929 set? :)

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

So when are you going to get around to getting pics up for the nickel and dime in that category-topping 1929 set? :)

Funny you should say that, I spent a fair amount of time so far during this winter working on adding pics to my main focus set my 1909 - 1958 Lincoln set.  Many of the photos I had done by the master coin photographer Mark Goodman, his are very easy to spot as they look so much better than the ones I've done lol.  I only have 6 or so to go to have my 100% complete set also 100% complete with photos of each coin.  Those last few are really kicking my butt as I just am not having any luck getting an image of those that I'm satisfied with so I may send those off to Mark and include the nickel and dime from the 1929 set for him to do as well.  Btw congrats on your awards, maybe someday I'll attempt to give you some competition on that 1932 set.

28 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

What, no participation awards? Lol Congrats to all the winners. 

Mine are all participation awards lol maybe someday I'll win something of consequence.  ;)

47 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

What, no participation awards? Lol Congrats to all the winners. 

My "claim to fame" is winning awards for writing in a competition that's focused on coin collecting. lol

9 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Btw congrats on your awards, maybe someday I'll attempt to give you some competition on that 1932 set.

Thanks! You probably wouldn't have to try all that hard with that 1932 D cent of yours. One of the things that has amazed me with that set is that it's held on through 12 years now without a single addition or upgrade. I keep joking with Choya that one of these days we might actually have to do something to bulk up that set.

Edited by Revenant

2 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

Peoples Choice awards aren't a bad idea, however, I don't think that annual set updates make sense nor should be a priority. 

If you worked hard, sometimes for many years, and have a very high-scoring set, then you should be rewarded. 

Besides, in many instances, it is difficult to improve on an already top-tier set. 

Plus, it gives the trailing set owners something to shoot for.  

@Walkerfan - Great points regarding the best-in-class sets; I can't argue in the least.  The pinnacle of each category should absolutely get the recognition it deserves.   It takes significant time, resources, and relationships to assemble these sets!   Hats off to NGC for running the registry set platform so passionate collectors can share, compete, and dream.         

In retrospect, I think my comment seems a bit snarky and that was not the intent.  As an eclectic world collector, my comment was directed more on the peripheral custom sets judged by more abstract rationale than strict point-driven analytics.              

9 minutes ago, worldcoinguy said:

In retrospect, I think my comment seems a bit snarky and that was not the intent.  As an eclectic world collector, my comment was directed more on the peripheral custom sets judged by more abstract rationale than strict point-driven analytics.              

Odd though it may seem though NGC seems to favor "finished" / "completed" sets. I don't even mean just that 80+% of the slots are filled even. I mean I've chatted with several people over the years that commented on their set winning a major award 2-3 years after the "finished" it, weren't actively building it anymore and weren't updating it. NGC seems to like capturing sets in a "mature" state.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about this, but it seems to hold up.

59 minutes ago, worldcoinguy said:

@Walkerfan - Great points regarding the best-in-class sets; I can't argue in the least.  The pinnacle of each category should absolutely get the recognition it deserves.   It takes significant time, resources, and relationships to assemble these sets!   Hats off to NGC for running the registry set platform so passionate collectors can share, compete, and dream.         

My bad for not understanding your comment.  Now that you explain it better, it makes more sense.  Custom sets are indeed a different animal and are not strictly point driven.  Thank you for clarifying.

Thought I'd jump back in with:

Especially if you're one of the winners of the major awards and a plaque will be coming to you in the mail (for the certificates you have to ask for them to be mailed if you want them), and especially if you have been a member for a number of years, check your mailing address information on your account and make sure it's still current / up-to-date.

I felt very honored to get the best modern U.S. set award. You expect the rank 1 awards when you close out the year and your set is at rank 1. I enjoy my dime set and getting a award setting it above all the modern sets in the club is SWEET!!!

Edited by Six Mile Rick

On 1/12/2020 at 4:43 PM, toneddollars said:

I was lucky enough to win two. Best U.S. custom set and Best new set. Those two along  with two sets in the registry that were awarded best in category, best NGC category as number one.

Congrats to all the 2019 Winners:banana::banana::applause:

Got lucky enough to win, "Best Classic Set" with my Washington complete set, including proofs.  Total surprise as I have lots of holes in the set still.  

Best in Category for Buffalo Nickels, 1913-1938, Circulated Coins Only.  By default only as the previous best collection was removed and sold about 1 week prior to the deadline.  I got an email from the guy congratulating me but couldn't reply back since he sent it from the old style registry page and for some reason I can't create an account there.  No matter I guess.  I was only behind him by 2,500 points so I would've taken him over this year.

Not an entirely noteworthy collection as of yet but I only just started it in 2019 and am only 49% complete.  Waiting on AU58's for better dates to come up for auction is a game of patience now.  Still saving for that 1916 DDO as well.

Oh, I just noticed the 38 D/D and D/S are eligible and not just display only.  Those should be easy spots to fill.  I should take some time to improve the pictures and write up better comments.  

I'll start an Austria 2S 1928-1937 set this year just to have something else to bide my time.  I've been sourcing some for the last few months but finding most of them in uncirculated with attractive eye appeal is a lot tougher than I would have thought for a commemorative issue.  The Haydn commands a premium as the low mintage coin but in my limited experience it's by far the easiest to obtain.  On the plus side, I've gotten to see some European coin sales sites but still not a lot of luck.