• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 proofs that I just found. are the auction prices real?

6 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

What prices? To which auction(s) are you referring?

heritage, ngs price guide and even Ebay have some, seems to me some very high values. am I just pie in the sky? or is that pretty normal for these types of coins?  

Thank you again everyone. I've sent a few coins off to be graded today[ my first time]. I'm using the money from some face value coins that where left to me from my grandfather [mostly Sacajawea dollars] to pay for the slabbing. trying to get a nice collection set up for my 10 year old son. you guys have been very helpful. thank you.

15 hours ago, Lancek said:

Maybe a little pie in the sky.  You're seeing some high prices in the price guide for high grade coins.  I'm not about to grade a proof with just a pic.  So I have no idea what yours would grade.  But in general, the coins that the mint put out back then did not come with as strong a strike as they do today.  Proofs include.  I you buy a 2020 proof coin, and I almost guarantee it will grade a 69 or 70 PFUC.  But the proofs coming out in 1963 probably averaged 64,65 maybe 66.  Yes there were the occasional strong strikes, but those were the exception, not the rule.  Which is why a 1963 PFUC 69 commands such a high price.

Nearly all proofs those years are fully struck but many were struck from worn dies.