• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 FB bugs bunny franklin. what do you think of the grade?

12 posts in this topic

The photography is not good enough to make a good exam of most of the surface (and yes, I know it's hard with shiny surfaces). Assuming there aren't surface problems that I can't detect, and that the scrapes on the reverse aren't symptoms of worse, I think 63 would be reasonable. The limiters that I can see would be a prominent ding on the bell just above the first set of lines, and a fair collection of small bag marks or dings on the obverse high points.

6 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

Wait, it doesn't look polished? it could just be the lighting and me not having enough experience with Franklins. 

But it is a really nice coin. :luhv:

Thanks, the usb microscope has some white LED lights on it. it's a huge pain on really clean coins. Reflects right back into the lens.

10 minutes ago, Bink2090 said:

Thanks, the usb microscope has some white LED lights on it. it's a huge pain on really clean coins. Reflects right back into the lens.

Maybe it would be better to use a regular camera on a tripod that allows you to shoot straight downward.

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

Maybe it would be better to use a regular camera on a tripod that allows you to shoot straight downward.

It actually does shoot straight down, but the lights are so white and bright. It just drowns out details in shiny coins.

WIN_20200110_18_01_35_Pro.jpg

On 1/10/2020 at 2:44 PM, Bink2090 said:

Yeah, I stopped using USB microscopes for the same reason. Get a desktop lamp, non LED for now, place it next your microscope, and turn off the LED light on your microscope. you can try that, maybe it will give you better results. Just a thought. 

On 1/10/2020 at 6:19 PM, Just Bob said:

What if you tried slightly tilting the coin by placing something, like another coin, underneath one edge - below the cloth?

I have found that doesn't work well then you get lighting anomalies that look cool but are not accurate of the coin

I find this works good getting surface scratches and cracks