• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do you guys think that its fake?

45 posts in this topic

Heck, they were pawning them off on soldiers in Saigon and Thailand during the Vietnam War. I don't know where this "trial coin" stuff is coming from, but without coherent explanation and references, it just ends up sounding like nonsense. The 1804 dollars have been discussed and researched for 150 years or more, so I seriously doubt there's any new "discovery" to be found here.

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Wait, you COUNTED the denticles??? I bow to your superior patience. Here's the thing, @OUTCAST, there's nothing all that noteworthy about a 1906 (it is not fully visible, but it looks like an '06) penny. The other piece is notorious as one the most often faked ultra-rarities in the world.

I believe he is claiming that it (the penny) is a pattern or trial or something like that. He posted it months ago.

Hey, I know diddly squat about British coins, so, for all I know it may actually be a pattern penny. If it is, more power to him.

The 1804 dollar is still a fake, though. ;)

4 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I believe he is claiming that it (the penny) is a pattern or trial or something like that. He posted it months ago.

Hey, I know diddly squat about British coins, so, for all I know it may actually be a pattern penny. If it is, more power to him.

The 1804 dollar is still a fake, though. ;)

I see nothing unusual on the 1906 penny photo, and I DO collect British copper. There were 38 million of them made. Not that these photos are worth much.

Edited by VKurtB

8 hours ago, OUTCAST said:

How can you know it is not a trial coin if you never seen it before?

What are you talking about?  The OP coin is a fake that we have seen DOZENS of.  That particular fake has been around for at least close to 20 years or longer, and is COMPLETELY unlike either a genuine bust dollar, OR the ones made in 1834 or 1858.

The only real similarity between the OP coin and a real 1804 dollar is that they are both round.

Edited by Conder101

I would not waste my breath trying to talk sense into OUTCAST. We had a long “conversation” about some horribly damaged, super common, ugly British circulation strikes that they were convinced were ultra-rare pattern pieces. They think patina and splotchy spots of rust, verdigris, and corrosion are indications of a proof strike. Despite explaining in excruciating detail the differences between a proof and a business strike (I even illustrated with examples), they still continued to argue. They are yet another example of a horrendously misinformed individual making obscure arguments on these boards. The OP’s coin is obviously fake. Anyone with any inkling or numismatic knowledge can make that determination with full confidence.

Can NGC just rid us of this so-called @OUTCAST clown? It that possible? That is my picture, I took it myself, and I'm in that same space right now.

Edited by VKurtB

23 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I can't see about your coin anything that immediately jumps out at me and screams "fake," but I know very little about Great Britain coinage. I do, however, know enough about Draped Bust dollars to see that the OP's coin is clearly a fake.

23 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Channeling Elon Musk this morning?

Monkey syndrome?I did not ask you for an opinion.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, Just Bob said:

I can't see about your coin anything that immediately jumps out at me and screams "fake," but I know very little about Great Britain coinage. I do, however, know enough about Draped Bust dollars to see that the OP's coin is clearly a fakeyea 

Yea sure.None of you answered my question yet.Is it possible to check the coin if you don't have it in your hand

10 minutes ago, OUTCAST said:

Yea sure.None of you answered my question yet.Is it possible to check the coin if you don't have it in your hand

I have been around enough cows to know what manure is. I can see it and smell it, and I don't have to hold it in my hand and examine it to know what it is. The cows don't shoot out "trial patties" or "experimental droppings."

The same concept applies here. Everyone of us who has replied to this thread knows what we are talking about. The coin is a fake, plain and simple.

I am through trying to explain it to you. Respond as you please, or don't. I don't care.

You must be the best in the world,and you should get Nobel price.itcan be difficult to take coin pictures for online purposes because no camera can capture the true luster, details and overall beauty of a brilliant coin.Such a equipment exist for few not for many.Do you know who said this?

1 hour ago, OUTCAST said:

itcan be difficult to take coin pictures for online purposes because no camera can capture the true luster, details and overall beauty of a brilliant coin.Such a equipment exist for few not for many.Do you know who said this?

I did, just now. I have 57 years in numismatics and almost the same number of years in photography, and yes indeedy, good and useful coin photography is really darned difficult, and getting the equipment set up to do it right will crush a beginner's budget for darned sure. Camera, lens, bellows, lighting, a quality stand for the whole shmeer, AND NO, A USB MICROSCOPE IS NOT ADEQUATE!!!!!

On 1/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, Revenant said:

Channeling Elon Musk this morning?

I have a delightful term for those who channel Elon Musk. We can call them "Muskrats."