• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 d d/d off planchet silver penny

23 posts in this topic

Hi .I have this 1959 silver penny,with the reverse side that has a old nickel coinage.doubling around in God we trust.i don't know much about collecting or grading.it is not attractive to a magnet.

15782401102981035609460.jpg

15782401938161890170415.jpg

15782403363981607796969.jpg

Edited by Funcoins

Well if you focus on the reverse side,where you can see numbers which some numbers are to tell what the coin issue as copper,silver or zinc.by which the side of the coin,you can serve clad of to different metal.as well it doesn't stick to a magnet

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't see from that colour where it is silver. Just looks like a regular 1959 cent. If you think there is Doubling, you are going to have to take a close up of that area as I can't t tell from that picture.

There is no zinc in your coin, it is copper. Zinc was not incorporated into coins until 1982.

Did you weigh it, that will tell you if it is silver or copper.

Edited by Greenstang
Add copy

Just now, Funcoins said:

I know I never seen a clad penny! If someone else has ,then please direct me to the right place

In 1982, the composition of the cent was changed to copper plated zinc, so all cents minted after that year could be considered clad.

You have a standard 1959D Lincoln cent that has zero numismatic value; its worth one penny.  Find 49 just like it and you can buy yourself a soda.

17 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

You have a standard 1959D Lincoln cent that has zero numismatic value; its worth one penny.  Find 49 just like it and you can buy yourself a soda.

Just complaining about someones snarky response and you do the same? 

23 hours ago, Greenstang said:

There is no zinc in your coin, it is copper. Zinc was not incorporated into coins until 1982

Zinc has been in the one cent pieces since 1864.  Except for 1943 the cents have been 95 % copper and 5% tin and zinc (the actual percentage of zinc varied) until 1963. From 1963 to 1982 they were 95% copper 5% zinc, no tin.  The 1943 also had zinc, zinc plating on the steel.

7 hours ago, Mokiechan said:

Just complaining about someones snarky response and you do the same? 

There is quite a difference in my response to the hallucinating troll and his attack and my playful suggestion here, not an attempt to be snarky and as the op wasn't offended it would seem that he got it. 

On 1/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, Coinbuf said:

When is the last time you purchased a soda?? You better get 2 rolls of pennies + a few more.

11 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

When is the last time you purchased a soda?? You better get 2 rolls of pennies + a few more.

Lol I own a vending machine company and believe it or not I still have a couple of accounts that I only charge $.50 for a can of soda.  Now a bottle that's a different deal.  (:

I learned my mistake before,so I don't let people BS bother me.i just asking for information,if I don't like the answer or information I need then I will find other avenues.again thank you all for your help have a good day

I have made, in my years in the photo lab business, perhaps 1500 or more "silvered cents". The fixer solution (developer, bleach, a water wash, then fixer) in the C-41 negative film developing process very quickly becomes loaded with silver ions. Dipping a clean cent, either pre- or post-1982, very quickly deposits a healthy-sized deposit of pure silver on the outside of the cent. If I left them overnight, it'd coat the cents so thick with silver, it'd obliterate the design. Making a really silver looking cent took about five minutes.

By and large, with VERY few exceptions, there are no "silver pennies". There're many "messed with" cents that have all kinds of metal plated onto them. That's what 99.99999% of these "silver pennies" are.

Edited by VKurtB