• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foreign coins info?

12 posts in this topic

Any info about these coins would be great....I have alot of foreign coins that I just started looking thru...but I don't what to start trying to figure them out b4 I get a grasp on others.. but these were different n interesting so had to ask... thank yall

IMG_20200103_100523.jpg

IMG_20200103_100604.jpg

From left to right:

1922 5 Centimes, France https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces701.html

1912 10 Lepta, Greece https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2364.html

1955 1 Qirsh, Lebanon https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6959.html

1950 5 Yen Showa, Japan http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces97765.html

The 5 centimes and 10 lepta are quite nice examples of circulated coins.

For world coins, start with Numista. The major differences IMO are that world coins are graded much more liberally, slabs aren't really a "thing", and prices are much, much lower in general.

Edited by Kirt

2 hours ago, Lisae228 said:

Wow. Thanks allot y'all.. Pretty cool... They are still in great shape for me lol.. Will look into those links thanks again

Any idea how they came to be here? I find those things fascinating. There would seem to be no "organic" trade reason they would.

Just now, VKurtB said:

Any idea how they came to be here? I find those things fascinating. There would seem to be no "organic" trade reason they would.

My grandfather had people mailing him coins from all over the world. That's how I got most of mine from this era. Perhaps that kind of collector network thing was common. (This was 1940s time frame)

48 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

My grandfather had people mailing him coins from all over the world. That's how I got most of mine from this era. Perhaps that kind of collector network thing was common. (This was 1940s time frame)

Brilliant! In the1960's I was doing that with Belgian postage stamps. A Belgian lady wanted American stamps, so we wrote letters to each other trying to use the other's language. She was older. She won, by a lot.

I'll add that he was librarian for the Chicago Tribune, so some of the coins may have been from journalists stationed overseas or returning from assignments, which of course would not have been a common avenue for most collectors.

@Lisae228, how did you obtain yours? I also enjoy the holed coins. I have one from the Dutch Indies 1939 and a few Thai satangs.

3 hours ago, Lancek said:

Happy to help.  I got pretty heavy into foreign coins a couple years ago.  Now it's the majority of what I buy.  So much variety and it's fun doing the research.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

You read it right. Not a single 2019 quarter all year, from circulation. I have the ones I bought from the mint, but only those.

16 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I'll add that he was librarian for the Chicago Tribune, so some of the coins may have been from journalists stationed overseas or returning from assignments, which of course would not have been a common avenue for most collectors.

@Lisae228, how did you obtain yours? I also enjoy the holed coins. I have one from the Dutch Indies 1939 and a few Thai satangs.

My mother is from Vietnam. And my dad worked for Lockheed .  So the combination of them both bringing things here helped.. Also my brother n law is from New Zealand and the rest I'm just collected thru the years..I had alot of coins prior to Katrina... But lost them during the storm.. Somebody out there are finding them I hope...I lost allot of coins my grandpa saved for me and that I've held on to since I was a kid...i collected them but was young n did not read up on any until now..

39 minutes ago, Lancek said:

military forces stationed elsewhere

I forgot about that one. I got a bunch of pfennigs from my dad from his time stationed in Germany during Korean War. Pretty worthless but still fun to have. And my kids will get coins from my travels added to the pile.

44 minutes ago, Lisae228 said:

My mother is from Vietnam

My spouse is Thai, so that connection has given me some fun stuff too. And when we're over there, I find it amusing how many US coins I see laying in display cases in temples and such. Here's a world coin lot for you!

DSCF3495.JPG

Oh I love that... And the best part about that is.. That it remains there...untouched.. With dreams and beliefs of people from around the world... You could not have that here. And that is sad cause we have so much  freedom and resources that they do not have. But someone would steal it here before the process began... Sorry didn't mean to drift off..I would love to hear some of the stories behind those coins.. Thanks for sharing