• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy New Year - goals for the year

13 posts in this topic

2019 was a productive year, with over 50 pieces added to the token collection, and several nice additions to the circulated type set. More importantly, I was able to find quite a few books to add to the numismatic library. 

I really don't have any goals set for 2020, aside from trying to attend the MNA show, which I missed last year.

2019 was a great year - had two articles published (first time ever), picked up a coin I've always wanted, got banned ATS...

2020 I hope to finish off my esoteric little set of oddball dime varieties, but the last couple are expensive and hard to find.

2019 was a great year insofar as I achieved almost all of the collecting goals that I set in January - except for one that was a long shot / mostly wishful thinking and I knew that at the time. The main difference between what I was thinking in January vs what I did was I'd been thinking I'd try to update / fill out my Koala or Kiwi set and I end up building out a massive Zimbabwean note set this year. But I got my French gold pieces and the gold piece for my 2nd son's birth year. I'm also starting to move forward on my Queen's Beast sets again, albeit somewhat belatedly and that'll continue into 2020 and 2021.

I'm tossing around a lot of other ideas for new goals / projects for 2020 but it's hard to really settle / decide on anything because their are a couple of wildcards at play - depending on the outcomes on my annual bonus (or possible lack thereof) and a couple of other things which projects I tackle could change. I'm hoping to clear up a few of my uncertainties and make a plan for the year in a couple of weeks.

One thing I'm seriously considering going for this year, funding allowing, is to pick up 1880, 1885, and 1886 10G coins and submitting them to NGC myself to fill in most of my remaining holes in that set and "finish" it finally after 10-11 years - but I'll need about $1,200 to dedicate to it to make that happen and it is competing with other things.

2019 was a great year, I got many thai coins and world crowns for my collection........that is what I collect at this time.

My goals for 2020:

*Get some PMG graded thai notes: start off slow and get cheap graded notes and learn more about what is rare, etc.
*Obtain more PCGS/NGC thai coins
*Obtain a graded 1912 Nicaragua cordoba
*Obtain a graded 1959 and 1964 Bermuda crown
*Obtain any other various graded world crowns after I obtain the 3 above.

To completely take over the registry, number 1 baby!!  lol  I had no goals for 2019 numismatic speaking so none met, it will be the same for 2020.  It would be nice to finish up a couple of date sets but time will tell if that happens or not.

2019 was a good, but extremely short, year for me coin-wise. I got back into buying again after being away for four years. So I have big hopes for 2020 as I rebuild my collection. To that end, I just found out I won a HUGE coin (made an offer at Heritage on an inventory item that they accepted) that has been on my want list for the last ten years. It won't be here for a little while but I can't wait to see it in hand and write up a Journal entry featuring it.

As for my area of focus, I'll probably get back into things with a type set. A type set will allow me to dip my toe back in slowly and allow for wide reading and research before digging too deep into any one series.

I can't set any collecting goals in advance.  I can only buy what comes up for sale which is unpredictable and infrequent.

In 2019, I was able to buy five coins I would describe as significant to my collection.  So yes, a successful year by my standards.

This month, there is one coin of particular interest to me coming up for auction.  I actually hope it fails to meet the reserve, as I think it is both over graded and not worth the minimum bid.  I want to buy it but only later and for less.

6 hours ago, kbbpll said:

2019 was a great year - got banned ATS...

xD

DISCLAIMER:

Lest anyone misunderstand:  I have no problem with ATS in any form. I just thought it was funny that his banning was included in his "great year" examples.

Edited by Just Bob
Clarification

2 hours ago, Lastufka Collection said:

To that end, I just found out I won a HUGE coin (made an offer at Heritage on an inventory item that they accepted) that has been on my want list for the last ten years. It won't be here for a little while but I can't wait to see it in hand and write up a Journal entry featuring it.

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your new coin, and reading about it.