• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1834 large cent

17 posts in this topic

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761So ive had this coin for a few years now and just now am I researching it. I know there are different varieties IMG_20191231_164022.thumb.jpg.759afbe4f27f6d037cbedac6267ed976.jpg the date specifically the 8, also in the size of stars and size of lettering. Please excuse the photos they most certainly don't do the coin justice but my phone is the only way I can take pics atm. So my first question is what varieties it is? I believe it's Lg 8 Lg stars and med lettering but I'm not sure. The next question is this coin gradable by ngc? I also was wanting any input on possibly sending it for conservation prior to having it graded? Thank you all for your time and help!imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

IMG_20191231_163409.jpg

IMG_20191231_164309.jpg

IMG_20191231_164443.jpg

IMG_20191231_164834.jpg

IMG_20191231_164404.jpg

Edited by Cierra2316
Wrong coin

8 minutes ago, Cierra2316 said:

Sorry about that I edited the title.

Not a problem. Just figured it would prevent looking for the coin in wrong parts of references.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, Greenstang said:

It looks to me from those pictures to be a Large 8, Large Letters, Small Star.

Can't really say from those pictures if it is worth sending in or not.

I looked up to see if that was one of the possible varieties and there isn't one with large 8 large letters and small stars but thank you for looking

Judging by the position of star #1 relative to the truncation of the neck, I think it is a "large stars" variety, but I can't see the reverse letters well enough to tell about their size. It also does appear to be the "large 8."

I'm going to state my outright admiration for you guys who can see almost anything on these pics. Your eyes are more tolerant of jpeg artifacting than mine are.

The OP coin is N-6 Large 8, large stars, and large letters.  The NGC coin is the right variety, but there is no such thing as medium letters.  On 1834 the lettering is either large or small.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:40 PM, Conder101 said:

The OP coin is N-6 Large 8, large stars, and large letters.  The NGC coin is the right variety, but there is no such thing as medium letters.  On 1834 the lettering is either large or small.

Sorry if I'm a bother but I'm a little confused 😬 you stated the OP coin is N-6 lg 8 lg stars and lg letter..I'm not sure what OP means but I'm gathering your referring to the coin I posted am i correct? Also what does N-6 mean? And you stated there is no med. Letter just small or large.. the graded coin that's pictured above states it's Med lettering is this a misprint?

2 hours ago, Cierra2316 said:

OP

OP = Original Poster (so yeah, referring to your coin)

N-6 = Newcomb variety 6 (relative to this year).  It's representative of the die pairings.  Here's a listing of some of them on NGC's Variety Plus:  https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/coronet-head-cents-1816-1839/?page=1  Full information would be available in a book.

2 hours ago, Cierra2316 said:

the graded coin that's pictured above states it's Med lettering is this a misprint?

I take it that's what Conder is saying.  It's not unheard of, third party graders are fallable as well.  However, the Variety Plus page shows 5 "Medium Letters" varieties for 1834.  I don't know enough on the subject to speak to it.

Old references list the 1834's as having three different sizes of rev lettering, smalll, med, and large.  The the rev lettering on the varieties that were called Med lettering is exactly the same size as the lettering on the Large letter varieties.  So there actually isn't a "Med letter" rev it is actually a Large letter rev.  But it is still N-6.  Variety didn't change just nomenclature.  It isn't a "misprint" on the label just an obsolete description that changed years ago but they are still using it.

thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything to me i appreciate it very much. I have been collecting for some time now but am just now getting into  researching what I have and what different varaties there are on certain coins and learning the grading process so your shared knowledge has helped me greatly.....does anyone have any input on having a coin go threw the conservation process prior to grading??