• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this genuine

3 posts in this topic

A while back I ordered an Augustus denarius from Ebay. The thing weighs right and everything but I know it's fake. It looked so much better in the pictures. And the whole deal is fishy as well. The seller had 100% positive feedback, but immediately after I bought the coin back in November the seller disappeared. Aside from that: the coin looks casted. If your in the business for a few years you can just tell somethings off. And it has corrosion--which isn't common with denarii. And there are some filed down chips on the edges which doesn't seem right. Coin talk told me to come here so what are your opinions? Should I submit it just for fun? [Sorry for the poor quality images just in advance, I have to update my setup.]

Here are the attributions:

Caesar Augustus

29 BC - 27 BC

Denarius

Head of Octavian, bare, right

IMP CAESAR: Terminal figure of Octavian, placed on thunderbolt

32303680_Unknown-removebg-preview.png

32303696_Unknown-removebg-preview.png

Offhand, the color doesn't look right at all. If you suspect it's cast, I'd like to see edge-on views. There would be seams or sprue remnants, or signs of filing.

If the PO felt it was false, an immediate complaint should have been filed with ebay and the payment handler. By Dec. 31....? Too late.