• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 proof penny

29 posts in this topic

They are in the area I have circled, for some reason the initials are not very good and are often very mushy.  Your pic is very blurry and out of focus but I can just make them out.

81.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

49 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Yes it looks dcam, however if that spot on the shoulder is on the coin it would likely affect the grade.  Also the pic is too blurry to determine if its a type I or type II 1981-S.

What's the difference between type 1 and 2?  Yes that spot is actually there unfortunately. 

Edited by Tridmn
Clarify details

16 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Yes it is a DCAM, after about 1979 it is unusual for a proof to be anything other than a DCAM.

I wasn't sure. If in doubt, ask right?

On 1/1/2020 at 12:03 AM, Conder101 said:

Yep, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

No matter what Kurt says.

Because yes, the only way anybody learns about coins is on a discussion board, right? [/rolls eyes] I guess it depends on how much one is disposed to trust the Internet for anything. Me? VERRRRRRY little.

Edited by VKurtB

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Because yes, the only way anybody learns about coins is on a discussion board, right? [/rolls eyes] I guess it depends on how much one is disposed to trust the Internet for anything. Me? VERRRRRRY little.

Kurt, why so negative? So I asked a question that I couldn't find an answer to. Just out of curiosity, did you know everything after a few months of collecting? I can bet not. So please dont get on my posts unless you can actually contribute. 

I'm negative because asking the questions you do with the quality of the photos you present is a complete waste of everyone's time, mostly yours. And yes, when I started, I only had one serious collector mentor, because that's how the hobby worked then, individual to individual. I also had about 10 numismatic books before I began to collect generally. And about 40 before I began to collect seriously. That also used to be the way this hobby worked.

Today, my numismatic library weighs over a ton. I know, because I am in the process of moving it.

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/3/2020 at 8:37 AM, VKurtB said:

I'm negative because asking the questions you do with the quality of the photos you present is a complete waste of everyone's time, mostly yours. And yes, when I started, I only had one serious collector mentor, because that's how the hobby worked then, individual to individual. I also had about 10 numismatic books before I began to collect generally. And about 40 before I began to collect seriously. That also used to be the way this hobby worked.

Today, my numismatic library weighs over a ton. I know, because I am in the process of moving it.

Good for you. Get off my post. Make yourself useful and find a bridge to jump off of.

Edited by Tridmn

On 1/3/2020 at 8:37 AM, VKurtB said:

How about you send me the $1000s you have spent then maybe I can get a better pic. Don't you try and judge me, you don't know me. You may think you are better than everyone else, but you are still the same slob as when you started. Want my address so you can start sending me that cash flow you have? Just so I can get a better pic. Will gladly give it to you.

9 hours ago, Tridmn said:

Don't you try and judge me, you don't know me.

Just saying, if in a court a judge DOES know you, they are supposed to recuse. I've never understood this oft offered line: "Don't you try and judge me, you don't know me." Golly, that's the only time anyone SHOULD!

Are you a "judge"? Maybe you haven't had calluses on your hands because you didn't have to work, or maybe you are just as stupid as you sound on here. And to be quite frank with you, no the judge does NOT KNOW who someone is, only what they are told. So if you step into that courtroom, you are just some person that is, again, not known. 

44 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Just saying, if in a court a judge DOES know you, they are supposed to recuse. I've never understood this oft offered line: "Don't you try and judge me, you don't know me." Golly, that's the only time anyone SHOULD!

1 minute ago, Tridmn said:

Are you a "judge"? Maybe you haven't had calluses on your hands because you didn't have to work, or maybe you are just as stupid as you sound on here. And to be quite frank with you, no the judge does NOT KNOW who someone is, only what they are told. So if you step into that courtroom, you are just some person that is, again, not known. 

Take the needle out of your own eye before you offer me any more "words of wisdom" then we can talk.

In a sense of the word, yes I am a "judge". I am a certified numismatic exhibit judge for the ANA. U.S. Coins. And if you ever get over grossly overpaying for common proof sets, and build an exhibit for an ANA convention, you may take solace and confidence in the fact that I am not allowed to know whose exhibit is whose. [although many exhibitors have a "style" that often nearly reveals their identity]

And no, exhibiting is NOT like a Registry Set. But the two may be merging down the road if today's press release from NGC is what I think it might be.

Edited by VKurtB

18 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

In a sense of the word, yes I am a "judge". I am a certified numismatic exhibit judge for the ANA. U.S. Coins. And if you ever get over grossly overpaying for common proof sets, and build an exhibit for an ANA convention, you may take solace and confidence in the fact that I am not allowed to know whose exhibit is whose. [although many exhibitors have a "style" that often nearly reveals their identity]

And no, exhibiting is NOT like a Registry Set. But the two may be merging down the road if today's press release from NGC is what I think it might be.

And again, you don't know me. It's not just proof sets I am buying. I have a deal with a buddy of mine that has many coins, one of which is a 1897 O in f or vf Morgan plus about 30 or 40 other coins from the same time period. Would you even care to guess the price? With that being said, and hopefully now you "know" me.

6 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Why are you dredging all this up again? Your question was answered a month ago. Move on.

Yes it was, which is why I'm not sure why vkurt had to have another say.  I thought it was finished. 

On 1/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, Tridmn said:

So if you step into that courtroom, you are just some person that is, again, not known. 

Which is why they can judge you, they don't know you.  No prior bias.

Edited by Conder101

No prior bias doesnt give the right to judge. That would be like me saying you stole some of my coins even though you didn't. With your statement the judge could easily rule in my favor correct?

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Which is why they can judge you, they don't know you.  No prior bias.

23 hours ago, Tridmn said:

No prior bias doesnt give the right to judge. That would be like me saying you stole some of my coins even though you didn't. With your statement the judge could easily rule in my favor correct?

Think of it this way... if you we're sent to court over something you didnt do; whose to say the judge rules not in my favor? First time being in front of a judge and you get the short end of the stick. Though you didn't do it, judge rules in others favor. Is that fair?. Coins may be different, but still the same. Say you know you have an ms67 and judge says it's just fine. Is that fair? Even though your coin is prefect? A judge can always be wrong no matter what the situation is; correct? 

Edited by Tridmn

On 1/30/2020 at 2:05 AM, Tridmn said:

Yes, he could also rule against me.  If he knows me he might be more inclined to rule in my favor even if you had evidence that I did steal some.  That's why when they select juries they try to make sure the jurists don't know the defendant, plaintiff, the lawyers or even the judge, to try and prevent bias one way or the other.  If you know one of them you might be biased to rule one way or the other regardless of the evidence.

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Yes, he could also rule against me.  If he knows me he might be more inclined to rule in my favor even if you had evidence that I did steal some.  That's why when they select juries they try to make sure the jurists don't know the defendant, plaintiff, the lawyers or even the judge, to try and prevent bias one way or the other.  If you know one of them you might be biased to rule one way or the other regardless of the evidence.

Ok, but he may in fact be  a "judge", but not jury. And if a jury is needed, it isnt up to him. So there has to be a so called panel of people that decide innocent or guilty. Not the judge.