• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever
1 1

31 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Y'all win. I won't be back. I hope you are happy. Shameful, the whole lot of you.

What did I miss???

I don't think anyone has been dumping on newbies lately - not that I've seen.

I have NO idea. I was in the United Kingdom for twelve days and in Alabama for another seven, just since Thanksgiving Day, and she got upset I didn't answer her PM's quickly. I was kind of umm, occupied.

I DID explain to her that what she found interesting in this hobby - minor doubling - had no appeal for me, but to each his or her own. Searching out doubling, IMO, has gotten out of control, and it's as if there is nothing else in some people's minds. I can go to a five-day show and hang with the top exhibitors in the field and never hear the words "doubled die" even once.

There is a "show going" branch of this hobby and an Internet branch of this hobby, and their intersection set is TIIIIIINYYYYY! It's as if they are two separate hobbies. Makes me yearn to be at NYINC next month. Why? Everybody there knows way more than I do. That's what floats my boat.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Searching out doubling, IMO, has gotten out of control, and it's as if there is nothing else in some people's minds. 

There seems to be a loooooong tradition of newbies looking through their damaged pocket change for gems and hope seems to ever spring eternal.

It's a little funny to me because I never really thought to do this. I check my change for old coins. I'll always look at an old looking dime or quarter to check the date, but I don't look at my change hoping for rare errors usually.

Maybe she got mad about a thread she didn't even post on. I know that I couldn't help but poke some fun on that "verity" thread, and people can take that stuff the wrong way.

It's not just the YouTube video bazillion dollar "error" garbage. I think it's also the proliferation of cheap microscopes. I might check my pocket change for silver or an older date (just because it's cool), but they haven't hand-punched dates or mint marks for a long time, and they've used single press hubbing since I think 1986, so to me all this "doubling" stuff is really not worth bothering with. If there's a wide or narrow AM that slipped through my hands, oh well.

@Revenant, when you say looooong tradition, how long are we talking here? Because I've been in numismatics for about 57 years now, and until reading Internet message boards, a) it never would have occurred to me, and b) I had never heard of anyone else doing that either.

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

@Revenant, when you say looooong tradition, how long are we talking here? Because I've been in numismatics for about 57 years now, and until reading Internet message boards, a) it never would have occurred to me, and b) I had never heard of anyone else doing that either.

Well, I'm only 33, so long is definitely relative.

On the other hand, haven't people been doing this since at least the 1950s? Looking through their change for the 1943 copper cent or the 1955 DDO, which received wide publicity. And the "I found something, is it valuable?" stuff is in mint archives from 120 years ago. It's different these days, but maybe not that different.

12 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

On the other hand, haven't people been doing this since at least the 1950s? Looking through their change for the 1943 copper cent or the 1955 DDO, which received wide publicity. And the "I found something, is it valuable?" stuff is in mint archives from 120 years ago. It's different these days, but maybe not that different.

As was stated in another thread, the "buy sheets" sent out by B. Max Mahl in the early 20th century contributed widely to the "searching pocket change" phenomenon, but those people were not looking for errors. They were looking for the dates and mint marks that were considered scarce to rare, or, at least, the ones that were being sought by Mehl, and were worth a premium over face value.  For example, he offered $50 to anyone who could produce a 1913 Liberty nickel, and that was a nice sum at that time. Obviously, he never got one through the mail, but I think I read somewhere that he actually bought one of the 5 known examples later.

Wow. Who'd have thought it. Idek most of you yet you took the time to comment here and you seem to know me, maybe well.

I came to get my thread about the IAP to school a young lady in one of my FB Groups and admittedly got myself lost in the forum again. Eventually worked up my gumption to check for notifications and found you all here. You have nearly left me speechless, seeing that anybody even cared, NEARLY, we all know that I have likely never been speechless, so I hope we can move on from here with no hard feelings and no private messages? Please?

Has anybody ever heard anything from Mohawk?

Welcome back KH! I think all of the Variety doubles and OMM's with lincolns has peoples hopes up a little high. I can look at a doubling event with a blown up pic that is provided and still not see hardly anything, almost every Lincoln has something going on. I think all of you have done a fine job, and a respectful one as well.  Amazing patience with the barrage of never ending doubling questions. Thanks.

Thanks guys. My crazy stirs up at times, I suppose. Hey listen, I just made a FB post and I wanted to share it you guys too because it was kind of about you all. And JKK too and some others that are gone now.  Anyway, I have been learning a lot more and have found that I have a knack for identifying obscure coins and tokens. If you can imagine that. Anyways, here's my post:. 

So I recently joined a new coin group and I freaking KNOW that I was not as spoonid as most of these people when I started out. But I started in the NGC Chatrooms and they don't hold for any bullspoon there. You either get your spoon straight or get the spoon out. I need to thank them for that. On the other hand, this group has some great sellers of coins who appreciate the other collectors and don't try to gouge you every chance they get like the sellers on ebay

So thanks for helping me learn what I needed to know these past couple of years.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, ronnie stein said:

Welcome back KH! I think all of the Variety doubles and OMM's with lincolns has peoples hopes up a little high. I can look at a doubling event with a blown up pic that is provided and still not see hardly anything, almost every Lincoln has something going on. I think all of you have done a fine job, and a respectful one as well.  Amazing patience with the barrage of never ending doubling questions. Thanks.

Hey, I recently found an unlisted 54 Lincoln RPM! I still haven't sent it in but I will. I just keep forgetting.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:50 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

Has anybody ever heard anything from Mohawk?

He was writing a dissertation and preparing to defend. That's a rough time. You wouldn't have (and didn't) see me burning much time here or on any other chat boards when I wrote mine.

We may see him back when the dust settles if it is related to that.

Good to see you back. I’m glad you had some nice things to say about us (I think) on Facebook. (Sometimes a spoon gets forked, right?) I’ll never see anything on Facebook because I refuse to play by Zuck’s rules. I really hate that guy. He’s evil on steroids.