• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991& 1943 penny question

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell my what this penny is all about...1943 d penny underneath the one looks like a little extra metal..but I'm not sure. 1991 u can see looks different like steel but it does not stick to a magnet like my others do...n the 3 Steel pennies all weigh 2.79.  And the 1991 weighs 2.77...

IMG_20191222_213238.jpg

IMG_20191222_213426.jpg

11 hours ago, Lisae228 said:

looks like a little extra metal

Not sure what you mean but large numbers of the 1943 steel cents were replated for the collector market.

13 hours ago, Greenstang said:

The 1943 cents are all within spec weight wise. The 1991 has more than likely been aftermarket plated which is not uncommon

I took it to a coin shop today.  They told me that it was zinc and the copper has faded away...sooo...

11 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Not sure what you mean but large numbers of the 1943 steel cents were replated for the collector market.

Underneath the 1 on the 1943 d... The line under is raised.  You can't tell by picture...but it's not alot...thank y'all again for input

9 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Never heard of copper "fading" away. If that is the true colour, then that is not zinc. Also the coin would weigh a bit less, not more.

I'm new at all this.. The Man at the coin shop was busy n briefly looked at it..let me take a pic in the light.. maybe that will help u tell me lol

The copper has not "faded", it has had another metal plated over the copper.  You see that raised lump in the field between Lincoln's eye and the S in Trust?  That is a plating bubble underneath the original copper plating.  If this had been a non-plated zinc planchet (or any other material) the field would have been smooth and lustrous.  But copper plated zinc planchets often have bubbles under the plating.  This coin had a noticeable one and it is still noticeable after another layer was plated over it.

Edited by Conder101