• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Michael Luck passed away 8/22/2019

12 posts in this topic

[I apologize if I didn't see this already posted as I did try to search.]

I'm not sure how many of you knew Michael Luck but I happened to be friends with him, although I never met him in person, for a number of years. Unfortunately, we fell out of contact for the past few years and I only came across his obituary by doing a search for him in Rochester news (since he belonged to the RNA).

He was a very interesting character who was extremely passionate about numismatics and had a tremendous amount of knowledge.

I'm curious to know if anyone here was in contact with him before he passed away and knows what he was doing over the past few years and what he died of. I do know that he had pretty severe diabetes and his kidneys were at low levels of efficiency even a few years ago, but I don't know anything beyond that.

Also, I did notice that this was posted back in August on the PCGS site.

Edited by Prethen
Noticed that this was posted on another site.

Is this the man who used Pikachu as an avatar,  and never used punctuation or capitalization in his posts?

Edited by Just Bob

1 hour ago, Prethen said:

The one and only.

That is really sad news. He was full of knowledge, and his posts were fun and interesting. I learned quite a bit from him, and we exchanged PMs on several different subjects. He was quite generous, not only with his knowledge, but also with his praise. He even sent me thank you gifts on a couple of occasions, when I was able to provide him with information from one of my books concerning coins that he was studying. I often wondered if he was still around, and how he was doing. He will be missed.

:sorry:

I hadn’t seen or been in touch with Michael for several years, but will never forget him. He was both incredibly knowledgeable and enthusiastic. He was also a genuinely nice and funny man. It was always interesting and enjoyable to talk to him. 

I remember but haven't seen him post in YEARS.  He was a VERY active poster here, when I first started over 10 years ago.  He seemed like he had a kind demeanor.  RIP and condolences to his family and friends.  :sorry:   

Edited by Walkerfan