• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ben Franklin's worth?

7 posts in this topic

My friend is letting these go. I don't want to pay to much but I also don't want to rip him off either. What do y'all think... Thanks again for input.. Everyone here seems to have solid info...

CollageMaker_20191220_065758549-01.jpeg

Given that melt on those is about $6.22 I'd probably offer $8-9 each and he'd be making out good with cash in hand given the time-cost and fees associated with selling them elsewhere.

Edited by Revenant

I might go as high as $15 for the ones I wanted, which from the pics would be the 58 and 59 - they both look natural and nearly FBL to me. I'm suspicious of the 63. It's so unnaturally glossy to my eye, and yet covered in dings and scratches on both sides. Maybe it's just the pictures.

16 hours ago, Lancek said:

Nothing in there that would get me too excited.  All nice coins, but common dates from the latter part of the series. Did you look at the tools I had linked in one of my other posts?  The sample grading and the price guide?  This might be a good time for you to get a little practice on those.  I'm not a Franklin expert, but the thing to look for is "full bell lines" or FBL.  Which has to do with the thin lines that run across the bottom of the bell.  If they are "full", meaning they go all the way across the bell with out any break, the coin might be worth a little more.  NGC's price guide list prices for MS and MSFBL separately.

The top right of NGC's price guide has a kind of toggle switch.  Where you can go back and forth from MS or PF for proof issue coins.  It looks like the '63 might be a proof.  Just remember that whatever setting you leave the NGC site on, that's what it will come back to.  Even if you are looking up an entirely different coin.  Learned that one the hard way.  Had been pricing a modern commemorative proof.  Came back a few days latter to price a Morgan without realizing it was still set to proof.

Even a Franklin straight from the mint might not have been FBL.  Due to a worn die, or a weak strike.  And if circulated, that is the first place it will show wear.  It's very hard to tell FBLs from pics, as the lines are so fine.  But you might have a few in there.

High grade Franklins in these years are pretty common.  So the rise in value between a 58 and a 63 is minimal.  And it's unlikely any of those grade above that.  I would offer him 80% of what you think they are worth retail.  Remember that anywhere else he tries to sell them is going to take a cut.  Ebay takes 10% and he's only likely to sell them for retail there if he has a solid sales track record on coins.  Since these aren't graded.  An auction house will take 10-20%, sometimes 25%. And most auction buyers are looking to pay less than retail.  A coin dealer is likely to pay 50-60% of retail.  

And maybe take 10% off of NGC's guide before you apply your 80%.  Their prices seem to be a little inflated.

After working with those tools let me know what kind of numbers you come up with and I'll let you know if you are way off.

I haven't quite looked at the link...but will when Xmas time is over ..lol. Trying to understand all..but I'm starting to learn a little more everyday..thanks to everones help..so much appreciated