• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth sending in for grading?

31 posts in this topic

I have a 1979-D Susan B Anthony in pretty good condition. My friend is a coin collector and I recently stumbled upon this thinking it was a quarter lol. But he says it looks like a MS68/69 just from these pics. Obviously would need a Microscopic telescope to grade for 70? 

83AD0876-3FB6-4579-B951-4E4FF783AEC1.jpeg

Your friend is wrong, that is a lightly circulated coin worth one dollar; the jawline and hair are the high points of the obv and show clear signs of wear as evidenced by the change in color on those areas as compared to the fields.  Not a mint state (MS) coin and not worth grading but on the bright side you have $.75 more that you thought you did.

33 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Your friend is wrong, that is a lightly circulated coin worth one dollar; the jawline and hair are the high points of the obv and show clear signs of wear as evidenced by the change in color on those areas as compared to the fields.  Not a mint state (MS) coin and not worth grading but on the bright side you have $.75 more that you thought you did.

^

3 minutes ago, Mk123 said:

Koala, your talking to people who have extensive collections, your coin is not in good condition and not worth it. Don't believe us, send it in and tell us how you did.

Was just wondering.. Sorry, I’m not into collecting coins... This is why I’m on the Newb forums brother.. Was just simply asking if my flash messed the picture up

1 hour ago, KoalaTeaa said:

Was just wondering.. Sorry, I’m not into collecting coins... This is why I’m on the Newb forums brother.. Was just simply asking if my flash messed the picture up

Nope. Short answer: you now know not to pay much attention to that friend's coin assessments/appraisal.

6 hours ago, KoalaTeaa said:

Are you guys sure? I mean I did take the pic with flash on with it not focused in that good. The Ms68 that was sold has a cheek blemish that mine doesn’t have

I really wish I could tell you that what you have is worth more but it is what it is.  Judging coins from pictures is tricky for experienced collectors and down right impossible for someone just getting started.  If you live in an area where there is a local coin show small or large I would urge you to go and take a look around, once you see what a high grade example looks like in person you will easily be able to see the difference.  Marks on a coin are important to the grade but its the rub or friction damage that separates a mint state coin from one that's been used in commerce   

13 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

I really wish I could tell you that what you have is worth more but it is what it is.  Judging coins from pictures is tricky for experienced collectors and down right impossible for someone just getting started.  If you live in an area where there is a local coin show small or large I would urge you to go and take a look around, once you see what a high grade example looks like in person you will easily be able to see the difference.  Marks on a coin are important to the grade but its the rub or friction damage that separates a mint state coin from one that's been used in commerce   

So do I toss these in the wishing well? Lol

2681DED0-0EC2-4BA6-86D4-632497C87301.jpeg

74FBFF73-8CF6-40DB-8AE6-8C8D86E82319.jpeg

This coin you just showed is MUCH nicer than the 1979-S that started this thread. Can you see that? You need to be able to see that in literally an instant, before you are ready to have coins graded.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:48 PM, KoalaTeaa said:

A4CE7EFE-00CF-48C7-9174-C1FFA30E2370.jpeg

You might be able to convince me that maybe your coin is just dirty and that isn't wear / signs of rubbing all over it, but this photo makes it clear that you have multiple marks / imperfections on the cheek and in the hair which would still make this a lower MS grade, even without the rubbing.

9 hours ago, VKurtB said:

This coin you just showed is MUCH nicer than the 1979-S that started this thread. Can you see that? You need to be able to see that in literally an instant, before you are ready to have coins graded.

As I said I figured it was because of the flash. Are those pictures better?

Also I believe this is a D and I started the thread with the 1979-D

Edited by KoalaTeaa

Looks like a lightly circulated coin, I have taken your pics and highlighted the areas that from my experience indicate friction/rub/wear.  On the obv the jaw line, hair and upper cheek areas circled show a change of color that is a sign of rub or friction.  On the rev the circled area of the eagle also shows a color change, these are the signs to look for when determining a cicurated vs mint state coin.  Its possible that one or more of those areas could come from in incomplete strike but in that case the coin wouldn't be worth submitting either.  As with the other coin this is worth one dollar imo.

sbaobv.jpg

sbarev.jpg

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/SBA/Grades
From this website my coin looks between a ms64/66, I don't know tho.. What grade would be worth sending in?

4 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Looks like a lightly circulated coin, I have taken your pics and highlighted the areas that from my experience indicate friction/rub/wear.  On the obv the jaw line, hair and upper cheek areas circled show a change of color that is a sign of rub or friction.  On the rev the circled area of the eagle also shows a color change, these are the signs to look for when determining a cicurated vs mint state coin.  Its possible that one or more of those areas could come from in incomplete strike but in that case the coin wouldn't be worth submitting either.  As with the other coin this is worth one dollar imo.

sbaobv.jpg

sbarev.jpg

6A3B7988-7813-4AB3-A9DD-F6CDA7C1A7E0.jpeg

This coin is maybe an AU55 on a day when the graders are drinking too much holiday cheer. More like a AU50-53. Absolutely NOT in the60's at all.

On 12/18/2019 at 1:36 AM, KoalaTeaa said:

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/SBA/Grades
From this website my coin looks between a ms64/66, I don't know tho.. What grade would be worth sending in?

Don't take this the wrong way, because I am not trying to be mean or ugly, but if you honestly think that your coin would grade MS64, you need to do a lot more studying and looking at coins before you do any buying. It will save you a lot of heartache and money.

(And, for what it is worth, I think every one of the SBAs on the PCGS page is overgraded.)

When it come to submitting your coin for grading, it would need to grade MS67 or better to make it worth the expense of sending it in, in my opinion.

Edited by Just Bob
Grammar

On 12/18/2019 at 8:29 AM, Just Bob said:

Don't take this the wrong way, because I am not trying to be mean or ugly, but if you honestly think that your coin would grade MS64, you need to do a lot more studying and looking at coins before you do any buying. It will save you a lot of heartache and money.

(And, for what it is worth, I think every one of the SBAs on the PCGS page are overgraded.)

When it come to submitting your coin for grading, it would need to grade MS67 or better to make it worth the expense of sending it in, in my opinion.

For most anything modern, unless it's a key coin / variety, anything below 67 won't impress anyone.

@damiencotton23--Welcome to the NGC chat board. It's very easy to start a new topic. Just go to the right-side top of this topic's page or the home page for this forum and click the icon that reads "Start New Topic."  

In your topic. please post clear, cropped photos of each side of whatever coin with die deterioration to which you are referring.  Otherwise, we can only speculate about what you are asking. (Coins are struck from dies. Dye is used to color cloth.)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The below image from NGC coin explorer is for an MS 67/68. Your camera is also not going to show as much contact marks as the coin in hand would and also under what TPG graders use when grading a coin which is 10X magnification. Under 10X, there will be MORE contact marks than you think going off your digital images. As well as the obvious light circulation already visible to the naked eye. I agree with the others the AU category but the amount of contact marks might bring this coin to a low end AU. 

I will state that you posted on this forum a question about a coin and asked an opinion of some members on here who have 60+ years of collecting experience and they gave you their unbiased opinion of the coin in question. They also have advised not to spend your hard earned money to have it graded. While some replies may seem harsh to you and are not agreeing with your expectations on your coin, you are at least not getting any fluff or misinformation from the people here. Should you submit this coin anyway and it comes back from a TPG graded as AU, will you also tell them they are incorrect? We all strive to get MS 68 grades on our coins and if we did, we would all be rich. There is a reason there is so few populated graded in that condition as it is difficult to achieve. NGC has only graded two at MS 68 out of 288,015,744 made.

The surface and details of your coin should look like this to get that grade.

4742037-013o.jpg

4742037-013rr.jpg