• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry-PCGS coins accepted into US competitive sets!
5 5

131 posts in this topic

There are some instances where NGC coins should out score PCGS coins of higher grades, typically in the case of Star coins. Here's one: 1973-S Eisenhower Dollar Pf 69 Star Ultra Cameo vs. PCGS Pf 70 Dcam. The NGC coin can be earliest strike from new dies and far more rare but receive fewer points than the "perfect" PCGS coin struck later in die life. This is only one example of why NGC and PCGS coins are not always comparable including many other Dcam proof coins that just don't make it.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, Coinbuf said:

Whatever dude you seem to have chip on your shoulder about this because of how it affects you is what I'm seeing.  This tie issue will most likely only apply to modern coin series where collectors are chasing PF70/MS70 coins, the fellow you warned is doing Morgans and the chances of a tie in that series is very small.   If moderns are your thing that's cool but imo having hundreds of thousands invested in moderns is a huge gamble, those coin prices have nowhere to go but down.  And if being the top set in a series is/was a goal then it would be wise to do some research about the scoring system before starting such a set to avoid any disappointments.  I have tens of thousands in my set and I have zero chance of reaching the top spot, for me its all about my collecting goals not awards. 

Agreed.  If you are going for the top spot in a set then you had best be prepared to spend more on that set than anyone else.  Coin collecting should be about personal goals, and showing off your coins is in my opinion more about socializing than that top spot.  What difference does it make if you know nothing about the coins you have but were simply able to find and purchase the top rated coin.  Find out what you like about the coin and have fun.  

• Administrator
10 hours ago, jalistair said:

When are PCGS Coins going to be allowed on international sets?

Hello, jalistair.

NGC made the decision to remove PCGS coins from World NGC Registry sets in 2012. There are no plans to allow them back in again. Please let us know when we may assist in the future with the NGC Registry.

I am always late to the party. This is awesome news! I suppose I will have to retract my scathing review when pcgs was tossed out. A few good things came about, 1st , most of my pcgs coins were sold and upgraded to NGC and most importantly , now I can fill a few holes that are available in pcgs but ridiculously overpriced in ngc! Thanks again !

On 12/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, Ali E. said:

The NGC Registry now accepts PCGS coins in US competitive NGC Registry sets. Please let us know your feedback and questions. Read more

I confess to being very unhappy about this decision - I see that some are apparently happy, but I have just spent 3 years selling my PCGS coins and crossing over PCGS coins where NGC populations are very thin.  As I write this I am waiting such a submission to be delivered and it did well.  I understand why taking either/or made sense when the industry was shaking out but now there are two.  Both claim being the market leader and each claims to have certified tens of millions of coins; but PCGS seems to gather more kudos and references in the relevant media.  But all that aside, having undergone the pain of focusing on just NGC products; what is the gain in reversing all that pain.  Fooled me once .... as they say.  I will stick with just the white holders in my sets and when I have no other recourse I will cross over; I have found that coins cross in grade about 2/3 of the time and sometimes, not frequently, cross up.  I am small potatoes in this business; but I have found NGC to be very customer friendly for us little folk at the retain end - completely unlike my experience with PCGS 20 years ago.

What are the criteria for approving a PCGS coin in the NGC registry? 

I have a dilemma. I want to buy a PCGS coin, but I am not buying it until it is accepted into my collection. 

If it is not accepted, then I'm not going to spend the money. I could either lose that money or have to go through a refund process.

Edited by AlmaKing
correct typo

• Administrator
16 hours ago, AlmaKing said:

What are the criteria for approving a PCGS coin in the NGC registry? 

I have a dilemma. I want to buy a PCGS coin, but I am not buying it until it is accepted into my collection. 

If it is not accepted, then I'm not going to spend the money. I could either lose that money or have to go through a refund process.

Hello and thanks for the interest.

We now accept US PCGS coins into the NGC Registry. Please click here for information: 

• Administrator
On 4/17/2020 at 5:46 PM, Jamie L Smith said:

can you add a spot for 2017 Austria 3E Tiger glow in the dark?

#  2812673-004

Hello, Jamie.

We will add this new set category to our pending list of request: Austria: 3 Euros, 2016-Date, Mint State. Thank you.

I think PCGS coins should be in their own category.  Not in the same as NGC.  I only collect NGC certified.  If I collected PCGS I'd be on their site.  The values and grading are not consistent.  This is disappointed news.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, MN1 said:

I think PCGS coins should be in their own category.  Not in the same as NGC.  I only collect NGC certified.  If I collected PCGS I'd be on their site.  The values and grading are not consistent.  This is disappointed news.

Hello, MN1.

We appreciate your interest and feedback. PCGS coins receive the same score as NGC coins. If you have any questions, please let us know. Thank you.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

Wow I don't even know where to start, it was a bad decision in some ways when management decided to stop allowing PCGS graded coins into the competitive registry sets.  The real issue was that PCGS coins already in a competitive set were grandfathered in but no new coins could be added, this was highly unfair to those starting new sets.  But now you have some; maybe not many but some; collectors that have started a set under the now overruled change who may have passed over a PCGS coin because it could not be used in that registry set, I doubt that those few will be overly happy about passing on a coin that they could now use.

When the change was made while I was not overly happy about it I did understand the reason, I however felt (and still do) that there was a much better and more fair solution to this whole issue.  Back then I said that the registry standing should be calculated using only NGC graded coins, all PGCS graded coins would be allowed to be seen but given a point score of 0 for the purpose of awarding registry awards.  No grandfathering needed, no exclusions, no muss and would have resulted in far fewer upset collectors imo; after all the scoring system is already in place as scores are calculated for NGC graded coins anyway.  Just do away with the all coins category and boom done.

I have to say that these changes do not make much sense and does not inspire confidence that management has a good understanding of what the customers want. 

I'm not really a big fan of the pcgs coins here - after all they have their own registry. And since no points are awarded why bother?

11 minutes ago, Crruisercharlie said:

I'm not really a big fan of the pcgs coins here - after all they have their own registry. And since no points are awarded why bother?

Actually points are awarded to PCGS graded coins for the overall best in class awards, there is a second category called NGC best in class where the PCGS coins show in the slot but with a zero for the score.  I always did; and still do; like to see both companies represented equally in the registry sets, it allows for complete sets to be built where that would be difficult in some instances due to few or no coins available in NGC holders.  While those instances are not common it does happen, as is the case for one coin that I have searched for an NGC certified example and have found none.  However when it comes to awards those NGC awards should be calculated on NGC holdered coins only (imo) as PCGS has its own awards.

Keep in mind that I'm discussing US coin sets, world coin sets are a different set of rules where PCGS coins are not allowed at all.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/16/2020 at 5:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

However when it comes to awards those NGC awards should be calculated on NGC holdered coins only (imo) as PCGS has its own awards

I don't know how much points matters to a Major award. I just know they require those to be 75% NGC graded to be eligible. So you're allowed to plus up or round out your set with PCGS coins and still be elligible for a major award but it has to be a smaller part of the set. I think that's a nice balance.

5 hours ago, Revenant said:

I don't know how much points matters to a Major award. I just know they require those to be 75% NGC graded to be eligible. So you're allowed to plus up or round out your set with PCGS coins and still be elligible for a major award but it has to be a smaller part of the set. I think that's a nice balance.

We're not just talking about major awards yes those have to be at the 75% or higher NGC graded coins in order to win; that is not what I take issue with.  Many; in fact most; of the awards are given out for best in category and there is no percentage requirement for these awards, and before you say it yes I'm aware that there is also the NGC best in category that only calculates the score on NGC coins.  Granted those are just paper certificates but I just don't see the point in having the two best in category awards, it should be NGC coins only for the best in category awards.  I think its ridiculous and pathetic that sets which are 90% and in some cases 100% populated with only PCGS graded coins are receiving awards (yes I know only a paper certificate) from the NGC registry.  And to be fair if NGC were to make that change it would reduce the number of winning sets I currently have, but I'm still in favor of only NGC coins being counted for best in category sets (or at least use the same percentage rule as the major awards) and I'm also in favor of raising the percentage to at least 80%.

I am in complete agreement and in fact love that NGC has gone back to allowing PCGS coins in the registry for the purpose of sharing the owners set, I just don't think sets that are made up of mostly or completely PCGS coins should receive NGC awards.

55 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

We're not just talking about major awards yes those have to be at the 75% or higher NGC graded coins in order to win; that is not what I take issue with.  Many; in fact most; of the awards are given out for best in category and there is no percentage requirement for these awards, and before you say it yes I'm aware that there is also the NGC best in category that only calculates the score on NGC coins.  Granted those are just paper certificates but I just don't see the point in having the two best in category awards, it should be NGC coins only for the best in category awards.  I think its ridiculous and pathetic that sets which are 90% and in some cases 100% populated with only PCGS graded coins are receiving awards (yes I know only a paper certificate) from the NGC registry.  And to be fair if NGC were to make that change it would reduce the number of winning sets I currently have, but I'm still in favor of only NGC coins being counted for best in category sets (or at least use the same percentage rule as the major awards) and I'm also in favor of raising the percentage to at least 80%.

I am in complete agreement and in fact love that NGC has gone back to allowing PCGS coins in the registry for the purpose of sharing the owners set, I just don't think sets that are made up of mostly or completely PCGS coins should receive NGC awards.

Yeah. I think it could be nice if there was a rule that either a set should have at least 1 NGC coin or be 50-75% NGC to win the best in category.

Your post that I responded to had me thinking you were referring principally to the major awards with that comment.

On 8/22/2020 at 4:14 AM, BlakeEik said:

I have a feeling the rules may change when the ANA Registry is online. NGC has been tight lipped about it, though...

I am guessing that the ANA registry will not have the 75% rule, probably no required percentage of either TPG would be my guess for the ANA awards.  Maybe that will pave the way for the NGC registry awards to drop PCGS graded coins from the scoring all together, still be visible in the sets just not counted for registry points, maybe not.  I certainly hope that the current 75% requirement will not dropped for the NGC registry.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Crruisercharlie said:

Still no points?

Hello, Charlie. We will send you directions about the process. Thank you.

29 minutes ago, Ali E. said:

30 minutes ago, Ali E. said:

I successfully added my pcgs goodacre sac to my set but I see pcgs coin are still scored at 0. Just thought it was sad to a great coin that I couldn't find in an ngc holder still wasn't given any points just because it was certified by a competitor.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Crruisercharlie said:

I successfully added my pcgs goodacre sac to my set but I see pcgs coin are still scored at 0. Just thought it was sad to a great coin that I couldn't find in an ngc holder still wasn't given any points just because it was certified by a competitor.

Hello, Charlie.

It looks like you are still using the collectors-society.com website. Please check your filter rankings to show ALL coins versus NGC only. We have sent you an email on this. You may want to familiarize yourself with the new NGC Registry here.

Also, please click here for information on PCGS coins: 

1 hour ago, Ali E. said:

Hello, Charlie.

It looks like you are still using the collectors-society.com website. Please check your filter rankings to show ALL coins versus NGC only. We have sent you an email on this. You may want to familiarize yourself with the new NGC Registry here.

Also, please click here for information on PCGS coins: 

Thanks! 😁 Changed the filter and voila! Didn't think about it because I have been exclusively ngc until now (and would remain so if I could find an ngc certified goodacre presentation sacagawea).

Edited by Crruisercharlie

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Crruisercharlie said:

Thanks! 😁 Changed the filter and voila! Didn't think about it because I have been exclusively ngc until now (and would remain so if I could find an ngc certified goodacre presentation sacagawea).

We appreciate your support of the NGC Registry for 11 years and counting, Charlie. Thank you! :)

On 12/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Y'all are announcing this like it is some major upgrade or new feature. 

How about you acknowledge that this is reversing a wildly unpopular decision made a few years ago? A decision which turned many people off your brand, and saw your business hurt as a result of the negative publicity? 

How about an apology to all of the collectors insulted and betrayed by this bad decision? 

Do you think our memories are so short? 

(this isn't direct at you, Ali, you've always been very helpful - this is directed at the owners and bosses of NGC, and especially the one who wrote a lengthy opinion piece to try and justify his decision even after all of the negative feedback)

I absolutely agree with Physics-fan!  I was so irritated with the decision that I liquidated the great majority of my NGC coins in favor of PCGS.  The only NGC coins I kept wouldn't cross with PCGS--and were ones I didn't want to sell. 

Hi Ali,

Do you know if NGC is planning at some point to add PCGS international coins in the registry set? I have tried to cross the majority over to NGC but a couple did not cross. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Pegas0 said:

Hi Ali,

Do you know if NGC is planning at some point to add PCGS international coins in the registry set? I have tried to cross the majority over to NGC but a couple did not cross. Thank you!

Hello, Pegas0.

PCGS coins are allowed in US sets only. The decision to remove PCGS coins from World NGC Registry sets was made by Mark Salzberg, Chairman of NGC, in early 2012, and that decision remains. Thank you for your support of the NGC Registry. 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, J Brown Collection said:

Why not world coins too?  The process is identical, you are basically confirming that the coin exists in the PCGS database.  I understand the business side of this, but it's unlikely that most people are going to reholder a PCGS coin just to get it in their registry.

Hello, J Brown.

Thanks for your interest. PCGS coins are allowed in US sets only. The decision to remove PCGS coins from World NGC Registry sets was made by Mark Salzberg, Chairman of NGC, in early 2012.  In 2012, there was a significant expense to our company to expand the World NGC Registry to support both NGC and PCGS, and the result had been that we could not release new features that support collectors of World coins (such as integration with the World Coin Price Guide, Krause, and the Census). The different attributions and designations used by NGC and PCGS for World coins have compounded that difficulty. As such, only US PCGS coins are allowed in the NGC Registry.