• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry-PCGS coins accepted into US competitive sets!
5 5

131 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Howard D. Wilson Jr. said:

I agree. I've spent a lot of time piecing my sets together and trying to finish one completely and this would help me and several other people I know tremendously. 

7 hours ago, Mk123 said:

@Ali E. Ali can you ask if they can allow those that participate in the world registry to allow us to add PCGS coins? I try to buy coins in NGC holders but there are times I couldn't find the coin so I bought a pcgs one, would love to add it to my set!!!

PCGS World coins were removed from the registry with no grandfathering in 2012. I suspect US coins only came back because of the "fairness" complaints regarding the grandfathering. I don't think the World coins are coming back but, based on this, if we raise enough of a stink it could happen.

I wrote to NGC several times objecting to their exclusion of PCGS coins - and explained that accepting both was the major reason why I chose membership in NGC.  I thought it was a bad business decision, especially since they were giving up a competitive edge.  I did get very pleasant replies to every message I sent.  I am so pleased that they have realized their mistake and corrected it.  Everyone makes mistakes.  It takes guts to admit it and make changes.  Well done NGC.  I'm glad I re-upped this year.

Edited by Fiddlehead

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Mk123 said:

@Ali E. Ali can you ask if they can allow those that participate in the world registry to allow us to add PCGS coins? I try to buy coins in NGC holders but there are times I couldn't find the coin so I bought a pcgs one, would love to add it to my set!!!

Thank you for the interest and support, Mk123. We have no plans to introduce PCGS coins into NGC Registry competitive world sets. You may enter them into Custom Sets, if you wish.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, unnut said:

What about world coins? Why is this not available for world coins too?

Thanks for the interest. We have no plans to introduce PCGS coins into NGC Registry competitive world sets. You may enter them into Custom Sets, if you wish.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Davids5104 said:

I use the collection manager for both my NGC and PCGS coins, why are the PCGS coins listed there not automatically available for the competitive sets..

thanks

David

Hi, David.

You will need to manually add them to your sets, so they can go the admin approval queue for verification. Thanks very much.

1 hour ago, Ali E. said:

Hi, Walkerfan. 

With the initial load of new additions, it may take a few business days. Thanks for your support.

Everything  that I added yesterday just loaded and I updated all my sets!  Man they look nice!   Now, I can collect uninhibited and can display everything.  Will be adding more pictures tonight.  Building a Standing liberty quarter one per date set and will be uploading some very nice NGC as well as PCGS coins.  Thank you!!

Edited by Walkerfan

I have a number of PCGS coins that were grandfathered into my competitive sets back in the old days before the rule banning PCGS coins.  I want to add them to a "One Per Date" set that NGC created after the PCGS coin ban.

Since these coins are already in my pre rule change competitive sets is there any way that NGC can automatically make them available for other competitive sets or must I add them one at a time to the "New Registry"? 

If I add a PCGS coin that is already in the old competitive registry to the new registry will the pictures and owner comments entered in the old competitive registry transfer over or do they have to be re-entered (Which would be a big pain)?

If I add a PCGS coin that is already in one of my Custom Sets to the new registry will the pictures and owner comments entered in the Custom Set transfer over or do they have to be re-entered?

Will the Collection Manager feature be available via the New Competitive Registry?  If not will it be available via the Collector Society version of the Registry? 

I really like the format of the old registry far better than the "New Registry".  Can I continue to use the old registry format or is it scheduled to go away sometime in the future?

Edited by JAA

1 hour ago, JAA said:

I have a number of PCGS coins that were grandfathered into my competitive sets back in the old days before the rule banning PCGS coins.  I want to add them to a "One Per Date" set that NGC created after the PCGS coin ban.

Since these coins are already in my pre rule change competitive sets is there any way that NGC can automatically make them available for other competitive sets or must I add them one at a time to the "New Registry"? 

If I add a PCGS coin that is already in the old competitive registry to the new registry will the pictures and owner comments entered in the old competitive registry transfer over or do they have to be re-entered (Which would be a big pain)?

If I add a PCGS coin that is already in one of my Custom Sets to the new registry will the pictures and owner comments entered in the Custom Set transfer over or do they have to be re-entered?

Will the Collection Manager feature be available via the New Competitive Registry?  If not will it be available via the Collector Society version of the Registry? 

I really like the format of the old registry far better than the "New Registry".  Can I continue to use the old registry format or is it scheduled to go away sometime in the future?

I have a lot of the same questions!

18 hours ago, ChrisinATX said:

I mean.. without the grade, they can't use PCGS's API on their site to verify the coins..  so how WILL this work exactly? 

It will work the same as it did prior to this feature being turned off, I don't work for NGC so I do not know exactly the process that NGC reps go through to verify a PCGS cert.  But the process worked fine before so I'm sure it will work ok again.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:10 AM, Ali E. said:

The NGC Registry now accepts PCGS coins in US competitive NGC Registry sets. Please let us know your feedback and questions. Read more

NGC graded coins were more expensive now cheaper pcgc coins rate the same as NGC. What a rip off!

• Administrator
On 12/13/2019 at 2:20 PM, JAA said:

Since these coins are already in my pre rule change competitive sets is there any way that NGC can automatically make them available for other competitive sets or must I add them one at a time to the "New Registry"?  ***If you go to the new NGC Registry, you will see those are already "available." We have the new AUTOBUILD feature available on NGCcoin, as well, which will save a lot of time and energy!

If I add a PCGS coin that is already in the old competitive registry to the new registry will the pictures and owner comments entered in the old competitive registry transfer over or do they have to be re-entered (Which would be a big pain.)  ***Images and owner comments will appear on NGCcoin.com automatically for any grandfathered competitive coins.

If I add a PCGS coin that is already in one of my Custom Sets to the new registry will the pictures and owner comments entered in the Custom Set transfer over or do they have to be re-entered?   ***Owner comments are carried over. We discovered that if a coin lives only in the Collection Manager/Custom Sets, the image is not always carrying through to the Competitive Registry when added on NGC. This is a bug we are working on remedying.

Thank you for the questions, JAA! Please see the responses above.

5 hours ago, lcs1129 said:

NGC graded coins were more expensive now cheaper pcgc coins rate the same as NGC. What a rip off!

Hmmm I'm having a difficult time understanding how you arrived at this conclusion, do you have any data to support this?

So I guess NGC's business suffered severely  I have many more PCGS coins then NGC and when they made the incredibly stupid decision to not allow PCGS coins into registry sets I only bought PCGS coins, now that your business is suffering you come back to the collector. How about an apology for your selfish stupid decision

On 12/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, Ali E. said:

The NGC Registry now accepts PCGS coins in US competitive NGC Registry sets. Please let us know your feedback and questions. Read more

It is a nice surprise that NGC reverted to accepting PCGS again.  Independent of how points are assigned and what PCGS does for their registry ... this is a nice feature offered to NGC customers and more broadly to the hobby.

I am a firm believer that the ANA (as a Non Profit promoter of the coin industry) would be best to host a registry for "ALL COINS" certified or raw.  This is great vehicle to help promote collecting and draw in new collectors  ... to see how your set develops over time and to stack up with others with same interest.  I know it challenges me to find nicer and harder to find pieces to add to my sets 

I wish more people would add photos to their sets which as it is so easy now with all those point and shoot cameras and smart phones.

Thank you NGC

I was just boxing up 4 PCGS graded Morgan CC dollars for crossover when I saw the email come across.  So yeah, it just saved me $180.  Im new at this.  I don't know the history of all of it, and actually don't much care.  I've spent a good chunk of change putting the CC Morgans together - most in MS62-63 range, with exceptions of course.  I've never submitted to PCGS.  I've submitted a few to ANACS.  Honestly I just ended up with more NGC Coins that PCGS so thats how I settled on NGC.  Actually it didn't much matter until I discovered these registry sets.  And now, it still doesn't matter - thanks NGC.  I wish an MS70 (and all other grades) coin weighted evenly across the major grading companies...

On 12/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, Mk123 said:

@roy herbst You make no sense in your decision. PCGS has never allowed NGC coins in their registry, I don't see you getting angry at them. But when NGC changes something, you get angry and say "I will just buy PCGS coins from now on". Why didn't you buy strictly NGC coins before?

Agree @Mk123 This mentality has always flabbergasted me.  The levels fury at NGC when they started doing the same thing PCGS always did.  It's like PCGS only adopted puppies but NGC adopted puppies and kittens.  Then decided to keep all their critters but only get kittens moving forward.  It's not like they went out and drowned anything.  And no one got mad at PCGS for only having puppies in the first place.  Never made sense.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:43 PM, Ali E. said:

If I add a PCGS coin that is already in one of my Custom Sets to the new registry will the pictures and owner comments entered in the Custom Set transfer over or do they have to be re-entered?   ***Owner comments are carried over. We discovered that if a coin lives only in the Collection Manager/Custom Sets, the image is not always carrying through to the Competitive Registry when added on NGC. This is a bug we are working on remedying.

Well poop.  I was exploiting that bug.  I have used different backgrounds for different sets (at one point going forward tried to match a background grey e3e3e3 which then changed a bit, sigh, when the earlier version of the new registry came about).  But, I have a custom set where the backgrounds are all consistent but white.  If the images get sync'd then either the registry or the custom set will no longer be homogenous.  I guess I will have to fix it when it happens.  Poop though, boring photo manipulation are in my future once I see which way it pops.

It is great that NGC is accepting PCGS coins for U.S. competitive sets. I was just wondering if and when NGC will accept world coins from PCGS.

I guess I just can't see the reason for  U.S. coins only.

Bethanis

1 hour ago, P.BETHANIS said:

I guess I just can't see the reason for  U.S. coins only.

Bethanis

For the reasons why they pulled World coins, first, in 2012, before they pulled the US coins, in 2017, you'd have to go back and look at the announcement of the decision in 2012.

I suspect the reason US coins are ba k and not World is that they grandfathered in old PCGS US coins when they stopped letting you add them in 2017. The fact that the "favored old guard" got to have PCGS coins but not the poor, down trodden newbies lead to endless cries about unfairness. So now it's "fair" again.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:51 PM, RangerMike said:

I was just boxing up 4 PCGS graded Morgan CC dollars for crossover when I saw the email come across.  So yeah, it just saved me $180.  Im new at this.  I don't know the history of all of it, and actually don't much care.  I've spent a good chunk of change putting the CC Morgans together - most in MS62-63 range, with exceptions of course.  I've never submitted to PCGS.  I've submitted a few to ANACS.  Honestly I just ended up with more NGC Coins that PCGS so thats how I settled on NGC.  Actually it didn't much matter until I discovered these registry sets.  And now, it still doesn't matter - thanks NGC.  I wish an MS70 (and all other grades) coin weighted evenly across the major grading companies...

Beware. There is a penalty for using PCGS coins. If your points tie with someone using more NGC coins than you then you will be ranked behind them. 

3 hours ago, Kominsky Collection said:

Beware. There is a penalty for using PCGS coins. If your points tie with someone using more NGC coins than you then you will be ranked behind them. 

This is really more of a problem for modern MS70 and PF70 issues. Sets like Morgan dollars are much less likely to have a tie for the score at the top spot and the rule you reference doesn't kick in unless the scores tie exactly.

Edited by Revenant

20 hours ago, Kominsky Collection said:

Just a bit over the top don't you think?