• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess Why This Happened...
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I just returned from the U.K., and thought I'd share a story about coins from there.

You may know that the U.K. has two denominations that are used heavily for circulating commems, the 50p and the 10p. The Great British Coin Hunt is going on. The 50p has numerous types, such as the Gruffalo, Peter Rabbit, Kew Gardens, etc. The 10p has the British Alphabet. For example, B is for Bond, James Bond; C is for Cricket; U is for the Union Jack. VERY VERY few people even know about these coins being out there. Why? Coin roll hunters are going to banks to hoard them, and take the regular ones back to the bank. Who told me? Royal Mint staff. The prices asked in the secondary market are stupid.

The next time you feel like cussing out the W quarter hoarders, as I do almost every day, remember, incentives create behaviors, and they are fairly universal.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:25 PM, VKurtB said:

I just returned from the U.K., and thought I'd share a story about coins from there.

You may know that the U.K. has two denominations that are used heavily for circulating commems, the 50p and the 10p. The Great British Coin Hunt is going on. The 50p has numerous types, such as the Gruffalo, Peter Rabbit, Kew Gardens, etc. The 10p has the British Alphabet. For example, B is for Bond, James Bond; C is for Cricket; U is for the Union Jack. VERY VERY few people even know about these coins being out there. Why? Coin roll hunters are going to banks to hoard them, and take the regular ones back to the bank. Who told me? Royal Mint staff. The prices asked in the secondary market are stupid.

The next time you feel like cussing out the W quarter hoarders, as I do almost every day, remember, incentives create behaviors, and they are fairly universal.

I supposed there are hoarders everywhere.

How come whenever I respond to someone the entire thing is above my reply but when other ppl reply it is either all by itself or they tag a person and only a little piece of the responded to comment is shown? Do you know anything about that VKurt? Or how I can see who reacts to stuff?

4 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

only a little piece

If you highlight some text, a little "quote" box pops up. On a desktop anyway; I rarely try to do anything on my phone. You can tag somebody by typing the "at" sign and then their handle @KarenHolcomb.

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

If you highlight some text, a little "quote" box pops up

Haha! Thank you so very much, kind Sir. Now I know something new and it worked with my phone. I dis already know about the tagging, although it doesn't work for me 100% of the time.  Thank ya! Thank ya!

I would never have figured this out on my own. I only started noticing it being done about a month ago. Makes our threads much less sloppy, don't you think?

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

You can also quote a post and then delete all of the quote except the parts you want.

47 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

You can even make it look like a poster said something that they never actually said  ;) Or obnoxiously put in something about how you fixed it for them.

Ha, then there's what happens at another forum, where somebody quotes somebody, then the moderator deletes the original post, so it looks like they're being quoted but they never said anything at all.