• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 D penny. What do I have here ?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys ! Still very new to collecting and my co workers know I’m into collecting cool coins and what not. So they found this for me today. And I haven’t seen a strike that was ever this deep in a penny before. On both sides. It covers almost all the perimeter words on the heads side. Along with a decent amount of the obverse. Couldn’t really get any great pictures. Let me know if you could !

Thanks everyone. 

CA3D326C-B8CC-4B3B-8F01-45518BE490B8.jpeg

965E7C7F-8AB2-455D-B008-570F91DF70C5.jpeg

F520ADBF-8B3D-469A-9249-7CE9246957A6.jpeg

Edited by Alex Kaminski
Pictures.

Much better pictures.

A Dryer Coin is a coin that was caught in the workings of a dryer and the continual spinning reduces the diameter of the coin which increases the thickness of the rim. If you put your cent over a regular one, you can see how the diameter is reduced.

8 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Much better pictures.

A Dryer Coin is a coin that was caught in the workings of a dryer and the continual spinning reduces the diameter of the coin which increases the thickness of the rim. If you put your cent over a regular one, you can see how the diameter is reduced.

Sweet ! Thank you. It is slightly smaller. And has about twice the thickness comparing to a normal penny. 

4 hours ago, Alex Kaminski said:

Sweet ! Thank you. It is slightly smaller. And has about twice the thickness comparing to a normal penny. 

That pretty much confirms that it is, in fact, a dryer coin. Do a little searching for pictures of some of the examples that have been posted on the web. Some of them are extreme.