• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Victoria

13 posts in this topic

Wow! Congrats! Big day!

I'm seriously considering picking up some Sovereigns for my collection in 2020 but I haven't decided yet - the prospect of trying to finish my 10G set after 10-11 years is also calling.

That is a substantial project!

Does the set include the "1852 Adelaide Pound ?"

Edited by RWB

3 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Congrats on a major achievement. 

Show us some of your favourites, and explain why they are special. 

The Sovereign was the chief coin used in the world for commerce during the height of the British Empire. The Sovereign was minted in five countries and at seven mints within those countries. The history along with the importance of the Sovereign is significant. during Queen Victoria's reign, the Sovereign was minted in two countries and at four mints within those counties. The other countries and mints were added during King Edward VII and George V's reign. 

The Reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901) - House of Hanover 

Australian Sovereigns:
1855-1856 Imperial Young Head; Australian Reverse 
1857-1870 Australian Victoria Head; Australian Reverse 
1871-1887 Imperial Young Head; Shield Reverse and St. George Reverse 
1887-1893 Imperial Jubilee Head; St. George Reverse 
1893-1901 Imperial Veil Head; St. George Reverse 

Starting in 1855 until 1870, Sovereigns minted in Australia (Sydney) were different than the ones minted in London. The Sydney Sovereigns were thought to be inferior to the British ones and at one time command only 19 Shillings to the Sovereign. 

After the Royal Mint’s “Trial of the Pyx” in 1856, it was revealed that the Sydney Soverigns tested had an average of 0.02% more gold than the London standard required. They also used silver as an alloy instead of copper as the British Sovereigns had. The Sydney Sovereign soon became the Sovereign of choice in Asia and other parts. Many were melted to extract the higher percentage of gold and silver. 

The 1855 and 1856 Sydney sovereigns had Queen Victoria's first portrait on the obverse, but had a different legend and the unique Australian reverse. The Australian reverse spelled out the Sydney Mint as well as Australia, which is interesting because at that time Australia was made up of six separate colonies and did not become the Commonweath of Australia until 1901. 

Starting in 1857, England demanded that Australia should not use the same portrait of Queen Victoria as the Great Britain sovereigns. The Australian's came up with their own design for the Obverse while keeping the Australian reverse. The 1857 shows this difference and was used until 1871 when England ordered that all sovereigns should conform to British standards (obverse, reverse and metal content).

Starting in 1871 the Sydney Mint, closely followed by the Newly established Melbourne Mint, produced Sovereigns with Queen Victoria's young portrait including both the shield and St. George reverse.  

From 1887 through 1893, Australia produced Sovereigns with Queen Victoria's Jubilee portrait and St. George reverse.  

From 1893 through 1901, Australia produced Sovereigns with Queen Victoria, old or veil portrait and St. George reverse. In 1899, Australia's Perth Mint started operations.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the excellent information and background.

Use of silver as alloy allowed greater use of native gold directly in coinage, obviating much of the refining process. The US Mint followed the same until about 1840.

Congratulations.  I don't know how hard it is to complete but I don't perceive it as easy and I know it's quite expensive.

Now you can move on to King George V.  I know there are at least a handful of quite scarce (and expensive) coins here, starting with the 1923 South Africa circulation strike and one from Canada, I believe the 1916.

Edited by World Colonial