• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a Double or a Triple Skip Double Die Clash?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

This is the last of them. Shew! Didn't take as long as it could have though. I am thankful for that.

Oh! I found this baby Thanksgiving Eve in the Give a Penny, Take a Penny at my local GoMart convenience store. He is the brightest Red too. Beautiful coin for sure. So what's it worth guys? Be honest. Ball park guess? 

IMG_20191128_022553~2.jpg

IMG_20191128_022609~2.jpg

IMG_20191128_022600~2.jpg

Very cool coin and excellent images. Those dies were banging hard. However, I stood on my head for a while now and can't for the life of me figure out where the stuff to the left of Abe's head came from. The horizontal line is the base of the memorial, but what's the other stuff?

Value-wise, no clue. Die clashes don't seem to attract much error collector enthusiasm. A couple dramatic off-center strikes sold recently on Heritage for $69 and $95 so I'd guess you could expect less than that.

where the stuff to the left of Abe's head came from.

I can't figure it out either, I don't think it could be a die gouge.  Possibly deep scratches that have displaced the metal?

Here is an overlay of that section.

Partal Lincon Cent Overlay.jpg

Edited by Greenstang

@kbbpll @Greenstang @Dukemnm I am at a loss on several spots. Behind and in front of the head there would appear to a broken line as is illustrated further as #1 and seems to connect to the bird looking thing behind and a slanted line towards WE in front. At #2 you'll see where I'm talking about the Die Skipping, whether 2 or 3x I'm not sure. #5  is something else really weird as well as #3. #5 I'm honestly not even sure why I made a circle. Lol ! And the #'s 6 and 7 appear to intersect at mid chest as 6 would seemingly go all the way across from the 9 to south of the E in LIBERTY. I have no clue why that extra stuff is there or what they may represent, but are obviously part of whatever is going on to the entire coin, something other than some kind of super Clash. Idk, maybe somebody's broach got in there? I am grasping at straws, I know, but that's how we figure stuff out at the end of the day. Right? Any ideas that have crossed your minds I'd be more than happy to entertain. 

aviary-image-1575421891402.jpeg

aviary-image-1575422079752.jpeg

I’m pretty sure what ever is going on to the left of Lincoln’s Head could not be scratches because it would appear on the y in liberty so it must of been something in the planchet before it was struck, but I don’t know what could have caused that.

http://www.maddieclashes.com/one-cent-overlays/  has some overlays that might help, and there are a bunch of images of actual LMC clashes elsewhere on that site.

The stuff under and right of the nose tip are just more bays between pillars, clashed from the reverse. I think a lot of the rest of it might just be regular scratches, possible some die gouges, and odd combinations of plating bubbles. The obverse is clashed onto the reverse as well. The dies weren't "skipping", they just smashed into each other more than once, leaving what you see in your #2. I've seen images of Barber dimes with more than a dozen separate clashes.

@kbbpll thanks dude. I thought the blisters were cool on this one. I never thought I'd say cool and blisters in the same sentence before, but there it is. 

@Zach G one of the 'experts' on FB also said he could see the Y. Be darned if I can. I guess I'll look harder. 

Still a darned cool coin whatever is going on with it.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:26 PM, Just Bob said:

What exactly is a Triple Skip Double Die Clash?

Lol! Idk? A friend referred to it as such saying that when the dies hit it was out of sink and so had skipped a little before landing back in its correct position. That's all I know is what I was told. All hearsay. Lol! Glad you aren't mad at me.

1 hour ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Lol! Idk? A friend referred to it as such saying that when the dies hit it was out of sink and so had skipped a little before landing back in its correct position. That's all I know is what I was told. All hearsay. Lol! Glad you aren't mad at me.

What you described is one of the forms of strike/machine/mechanical damage, according to what I have read.

Bob, I have no more idea what that is any more than than I know what these skips I speak of are. Lol! But given the appearance of this coin I'd have to agree that there is damage of some kind. But alas, I do still LOOVE this Lincoln.

Ok. @kbbpll if you look at this screenshot from error-ref on Horizontal Misalignment Die Clash, you can almost see the birdlike feature behind the head. I think.

and @Just Bob, idky it didn't let me tag the other dude. Anyway,i think this may be what Lenny was talking about when he said skipping. It says on error-ref under Multiple Clash that Dies can clash numerous times but multiple collisions will only be apparent when one Die shifts position after each clash. This produces multiple, staggered Clash Marks. So he used Skip instead of Staggered but I think this is what he meant.

Screenshot_20191209-160456.png