• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird 1982 penny

17 posts in this topic

Mo

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

I'm guessing just a discolored regular cent.

Most likely , I'm not lucky enough to hit a jack pot item lol . Although i would Keep it i think if it was rare .

If it is aluminum , it would weigh less than the copper and the zinc pennies right , or In between ?

3 hours ago, Robs-Coins said:

Mo

Most likely , I'm not lucky enough to hit a jack pot item lol . Although i would Keep it i think if it was rare .

If it is aluminum , it would weigh less than the copper and the zinc pennies right , or In between ?

Zinc is 2.5 times as heavy as aluminum, and brass is 3 times heavier. (Round numbers)

59 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

If it was aluminum, the weight would be .93 g , a lot less than copper or zinc.

I didn't weigh it yet , but plan to . I'll post the status here when i do . But it does feel lighter than both , also with my make shift scale i made a ways back . It passes both the copper test and the Zinc , lighter than both . But I'd like to be sure with an exact amount .

No they do it because either they are bored, or because they hope to pass it off to the unknowledgeable as a non-plated planchet error.  There are real ones that get struck on planchets that accidentally missed the copper plating process and they can be worth over $100.  So some people strip the plating off the regular coins and try to sell them as the error.