• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2lbs of world coins I need help with

14 posts in this topic

Got 2lbs of foreign coins that I may need help identifying. Any help is appreciated. Here is first one. Spent well over 2 hours trying to find this coin idk if it is a fake or real.

20191122_231459.jpg

20191122_231517.jpg

7 minutes ago, JKK said:

Not a coin. Looks like a souvenir token from Italy. Would be valuable to those who happen to collect those, less so to everyone else.

Have MANY MANY more to go through. Some almost feel line hardened plactic.

Edited by Tridmn

Normally the suggested plan is one coin per pic and thread, but in a mass identification case I can see doing nine at a time in a tic tac toe format. I'd draw the octothorpe # on a piece of paper, lay out nine coins, shoot, flip all in place (careful of alignment--we aren't going to rotate them ourselves), shoot, post the pics. We can probably rip through them if you take good sharp shots, and that would save you a ton of work. If you wanted to do it really smart, you'd sharpie a number in each cell of the octothorpe, so that people could say, "number 4 is an Italian 50 lire" or "number 9 is a Vichy 50 centime piece."

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

Normally the suggested plan is one coin per pic and thread, but in a mass identification case I can see doing nine at a time in a tic tac toe format. I'd draw the octothorpe # on a piece of paper, lay out nine coins, shoot, flip all in place (careful of alignment--we aren't going to rotate them ourselves), shoot, post the pics. We can probably rip through them if you take good sharp shots, and that would save you a ton of work. If you wanted to do it really smart, you'd sharpie a number in each cell of the octothorpe, so that people could say, "number 4 is an Italian 50 lire" or "number 9 is a Vichy 50 centime piece."

I actually have several of the same type of coin. 1 may be better than the other. I'm worried about the max size of pic. If it will fit

8 hours ago, Tridmn said:

Those 2 pics we're almost 4.3 and max is what; 4.9

I don't know. What I do know is that if you crop jpgs with an image editor, usually the size drops a lot. Plus, you can shrink them. In any case, images the size of the above that displayed nine coins in good photos would mostly be clear enough to identify the coins.

If you have a desktop Windows computer I think they all still come with Paint. Open image in Paint, resize to 50% or whatever, Save or Save As (if you want to keep the original). This is what I typically do.

Cropping made the coin image appear larger in size. It did not increase the size of the image in KB/MB. Resizing and cropping are not the same thing. What I do, on the board where I actually post coins for inquiry, is crop them closely then resize both sides to an image size where one side is 500 pixels, maintaining aspect ratio. If you want to do this, there will be no substitute for learning what these terms mean because that's how most image viewer and modifier software describes them.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, JKK said:

Cropping made the coin image appear larger in size. It did not increase the size of the image in KB/MB. Resizing and cropping are not the same thing. What I do, on the board where I actually post coins for inquiry, is crop them closely then resize both sides to an image size where one side is 500 pixels, maintaining aspect ratio. If you want to do this, there will be no substitute for learning what these terms mean because that's how most image viewer and modifier software describes them.

Just got new chromebook, still learning it

On 11/23/2019 at 1:27 AM, JKK said:

Completely off topic, but I learned a new word today.  And yet another name for #.  Pound.  Number.  Hashtag.  Octothorpe.  Totally cool.

@Tridmn Learning to do photos is time consuming, fun, and worthwhile.  And most basic photomanipulation programs, including whatever you are opening the photo with on a chromebook (caveat, I don't have one), has a menu item somewhere saying 'resize'.  So, after cropping the extraneous, you can also resize the image to one more suitable for posting on a webpage like this.  Generally a square of 800x800 or a rectangle of 800x1600 is more than enough to fill a computer screen.  These aren't the super high quality images from the pros but will be more than enough to ID.

Agree with @JKK that if you do have multiples of this kind of quality, several in a shot is a great idea.  If you can't find something in Krause, or on Numista.com, someone might be able to help.  Also, the old paper Krause used to have a few pages of 'identifier' pages where you could narrow a type based on imagery.  Plus, there is 'an app for that' it turns out.  I haven't used it, and can't tell how complete it is, but it's a cool idea.

Apple

Google

and a couple websites I just googled and will have to look at now...

http://worldcoingallery.com/Inst-ID/page1.html

https://coinscatalog.net/identify