• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American eagle

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I am new to coin collecting and wanted to find out what and how i should care for this coin. I was told not to open the box from the mint. Why? can i trust that my coin will be safe when submitting for grading? What type of grading service should i get? What can i do to maximize the value of the coin? if anyone could help that would be great. thanks for your time. 

7F71A2A3-7618-4493-AB12-C415371F7106.png

Welcome to the forum.

Let's take your questions one at a time:

If you were told not to open the mint box, I assume it was so that you could receive a "First Day of Issue" designation, or something similar, should you decide to have it graded and encapsulated.

You can trust your coin to be as safe during the shipping process as any other item would be when shipping  through the mail, but you should be sure to insure it for its full value. You can also be assured that the major grading services handle coins worth many times the value of your coin, so it can be assumed that they are honest and professional when handling customer's property.

I am not sure what you are wanting to know when you ask about what kind of grading service you should get, but here is a link to our host's page on how to submit coins:

Link here

To maximize the value of your coin, you would need to have it graded as a MS70, the highest grade available, but there is definitely no guarantee that it would grade that high if sent in. It could grade MS 68 or 69, and the amount that you could expect to receive when selling would be lower - possibly considerably lower. Is there a reason why you want to have it graded? Did you buy it just to resell? If not, you may not need to rush into having it graded. The cost can be considerable, relatively speaking.

If your  point is to protect your coin, it can be stored in its original packaging in a dry environment, and should be safe from damage.

Edited by Just Bob

Thanks for your reply, well this is the first coin I’ve purchased. Yes, I plan on holding onto this coin for s very long time to resell in the future. I did it know if there were other services NGC offers like enclosing the COA and number and have the trolly car on the case as well. What are the chances I will get a 70 it’s fresh of the press. They don’t get any better then that. Do they?

this is what I chose, should I change it or add something? 

8A05C083-6F10-4893-A958-216E46D3F1CE.jpeg

F58D9D35-CD38-410F-B583-6E9212AB4F5C.jpeg

4BF99D2F-D75F-42DE-A48A-429B311B7684.jpeg

Someone else will have to advise you on how to select the different options when submitting. I have never sent a coin in for grading, so I am not familiar enough with the process to give advice.