• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How hard is to get a PF70 from a American Eagle Proof ?

17 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I recently was able to obtain a couple of "American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin" and i been thinking of selling them but i been thinking of grading them.
My question is, How rare is to get a PF70 from these ? I know getting PF70 is rare but i thought if it was brand new, fresh out of factory, never touched, it was an easy PF70. I will appreciate it if someone can tell me if i am wrong or not. Will decide to grade them or not depending in the answers i get.

Edited by marcosabruna

5 hours ago, marcosabruna said:

Hey all,

I recently was able to obtain a couple of "American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin" and i been thinking of selling them but i been thinking of grading them.
My question is, How rare is to get a PF70 from these ? I know getting PF70 is rare but i thought if it was brand new, fresh out of factory, never touched, it was an easy PF70. I will appreciate it if someone can tell me if i am wrong or not. Will decide to grade them or not depending in the answers i get.

Here is a link to NGC's census page, which lists the populations of the Silver Eagles that have been certified to date. As you can see, the percentage of 70s compared to 69s increases (more or less) as the issue gets more recent. I will let you work out the exact percentages yourself.

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/american-eagles-and-bullion-coins/76/

Edited by Just Bob

57 minutes ago, marcosabruna said:

Thanks for the reply,

I think you are missing the link. Can you send it? 
I don't see it in the reply.

Sorry. I got sidetracked by a chocolate shake right before I posted. The link is there now, in my previous post.

12 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Here is a link to NGC's census page, which lists the populations of the Silver Eagles that have been certified to date. As you can see, the percentage of 70s compared to 69s increases (more or less) as the issue gets more recent. I will let you work out the exact percentages yourself.

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/american-eagles-and-bullion-coins/76/

That sounds like a good excuse :)

I just saw the link, thank you. Is there a way to have this list about for this one specifically ? 

13 minutes ago, marcosabruna said:

Not sure what you mean by that but my guess is that it could lose some grading over time?
Also, i live in a very very humid place.

That's the essence of what he means. The slab will still say the same thing, but some potential purchasers would insist on evaluating the actual coin without caring what the slab said. If it were a copper coin, the climate could be a greater issue--I am told that people moving to Florida, for example, are told to sell their red copper first.

53 minutes ago, marcosabruna said:

That sounds like a good excuse :)

I just saw the link, thank you. Is there a way to have this list about for this one specifically ? 

That coin will be in the census in the near future, but at this point (11/18/19), very few, if any, have been graded.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

I am told that people moving to Florida, for example, are told to sell their red copper first.

Humidity alone, or sulfur compounds in the atmosphere? I ask because central PA tends toward some serious humidity but lacks the sulfur. The only coins I have that have "turned" are those in old soapbox ANACS slabs. I'm frankly amazed how stable my NGC slabbed coppers are. I knew their inserts were better, but I didn't know how much better.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

That's the essence of what he means. The slab will still say the same thing, but some potential purchasers would insist on evaluating the actual coin without caring what the slab said. If it were a copper coin, the climate could be a greater issue--I am told that people moving to Florida, for example, are told to sell their red copper first.

I live in Puerto Rico. Weather here is horrible. Will likely affect my coins.

To answer the OP's question... lately, getting a '70' on fresh numismatic issues is about a 60-70% likelihood, IME.

36 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

To answer the OP's question... lately, getting a '70' on fresh numismatic issues is about a 60-70% likelihood, IME.

Thank You for your answer. I think i'm going to go ahead and "risk" it. 
Is the 69 still wanted ? Or people pass on those ?

1 hour ago, marcosabruna said:

Thank You for your answer. I think i'm going to go ahead and "risk" it. 
Is the 69 still wanted ? Or people pass on those ?

"People" might. I don't. I have seen many 69's that are nicer coins than some 70's. That's the weird part. I don't buy labels; I buy coins. I'd rather have the original packaging.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

"People" might. I don't. I have seen many 69's that are nicer coins than some 70's. That's the weird part. I don't buy labels; I buy coins. I'd rather have the original packaging.

Good to know, thanks for the answer.